Tagged out.

Jcalder

I put my last tag on a deer this morning. Not the way I had intended. Noticed on one of my cameras a lot of movement last night from the bobcats, coyotes, and foxes. This morning I started getting a lot of pictures of buzzards. Decided something was dead and I'd figure it out. Turns out my miss from last Thursday was indeed a kill. I walked within 20 yards of this deer and never knew it. Found him on the edge of a briar thicket about 15 feet behind my camera. Just sickening. I knew he wasn't the best horned deer, but when I posted asking his age y'all figured he was 3.5. Just sucks it happened this way. No indication he was ever hit.
1853B467-E9B1-49CE-B359-DBAA6FF140AF.jpeg
201896E4-A1BE-48F1-BE22-A09A36DD055B.jpeg

backyardtndeer

At least you found him and know you hit him. Figure there are a lot ruled as a miss that are dead deer never found by the hunter.

Shame how you can walk by one and miss it too. Wife walked within yards of her 2018 buck and never saw him on the morning after she shot him. Wasn't until a few days later I was looking again and about to call it quits when the buzzards tipped me off.

Jcalder

Here's a view from the field looking to him. You can see him in the picture. I was actually below him when I was looking. Best I can tell I gut shot this deer but I have no idea where I hit. I did look for a hole but he was pretty rank. Exit side was obliterated my all the animals feeding on him.
4A3E4D0C-7156-41B6-99B5-3F80511F7E74.png

Chucklee338

2-Step Enabled
To me, that says a lot about your character. Many would not have used their last tag on him and just kept on hunting. Congrats on a fine buck.

DRSJ35

At least you have closure and found him. And you did the right thing by checking him in. I still wonder from 3 years ago about a buck I shot. I would have loved to at least find him.

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
Here's a view from the field looking to him. You can see him in the picture. I was actually below him when I was looking. Best I can tell I gut shot this deer but I have no idea where I hit. I did look for a hole but he was pretty rank. Exit side was obliterated my all the animals feeding on him. View attachment 61691
Wow, right behind the cam too!

Jcalder

Wow, right behind the cam too!
That camera is the only reason I found the deer. The sudden increase of the animals feeding on him, along with all the pictures of buzzards made me go look to see what was dead. Not sure I woulda seen him to start with had I left the field going up that edge. Just makes me sick to have wasted the meat but I'm glad I found him.

Latest posts