Tagged out this morning

Knothead

Got my first of the year opening weekend.
Got my second (last) of the season this morning at 11.
I decided to sleep in this morning and go out about 10 and hunt for 2-3 hrs. Pitched a change-up and caught 'em off guard.
Got set up in edge of field around 10:15. Hit a few soft yelps and a cluck or two with the Nawty Yawty mouth call, and shut up. 20 mins later, heard some crows all fired up about something 2 fields over from me. And that noise from them instigated a gobble, then another. I wasn't interested in packing up and walking 1/2 mile to set up on them as there are no decent trees to slip through. Don't like walking on field edges. Too easy to get busted. I hit a few cackles and some louder, more aggressive yelps. They gobbled back at me from that far away field. Two of them. Each triple gobbled, so I figured they were on the prowl for a hen. So I did a few more cackles and trailed off with some loud, desperate sounding yelps. Both gobbled—closer. I settled in, barrel resting on shooting stick and pointed in that direction and I shut up. They were headed my way. 5-6 minutes, I see the 'patriotic' heads cresting the undulations in the field. Here they come, marching in step, side by side like soldiers right toward the business end of my Versamax 12. Quick peek through binoculars show one with a good beard and the other has one about half that size. I picked out the one I wanted and just waited for their slow, steady gait to turn to a trot. Quickly switched mouth call to the red wasp mouth call and made a few soft purrs; they trotted……to 22 yds in front of me. and stopped. One fanned out and the one I had already decided on stuck his periscope up, looking for the girl. Hammered him.
24 lb. 1 1/4" spurs. 10" beard.

Thank you Lord for this opportunity and for your provisions. I am blessed !

Next up for me: crappie and bluegill fishing.
IMG_8194.jpeg
IMG_8200.jpeg
IMG_7085.jpeg

Last edited:

WilcoKen

Got my first of the year opening weekend.
Got my second (last) of the season this morning at 11.
I decided to sleep in this morning and go out about 10 and hunt for 2-3 hrs. Pitched a change-up and caught 'em off guard.
Got set up in edge of field around 10:15. Hit a few soft yelps and a cluck or two with the Nawty Yawty mouth call, and shut up. 20 mins later, heard some crows all fired up about something 2 fields over from me. I wasn't interested in packing up and walking 1/2 mile to set up on them as there are no decent trees to slip through. Don't like walking on field edges. Too easy to get busted. I hit a few cackles and some louder, more aggressive yelps. They gobbled back at me from that far away field. Two of them. Each triple gobbled, so I figured they were on the prowl for a hen. So I did a few more cackles and trailed off with some loud, desperate sounding yelps. Both gobbled—closer. I settled in, barrel resting on shooting stick and pointed in that direction and I shut up. They were headed my way. 5-6 minutes, I see the 'patriotic' heads cresting the undulations in the field. Here they come, marching in step, side by side like soldiers right toward the business end of my Versamax 12. Quick peek through binoculars show one with a good beard and the other has one about half that size. I picked out the one I wanted and just waited for their slow, steady gait to turn to a trot. Quickly switched mouth call to the red wasp mouth call and made a few soft purrs; they trotted……to 22 yds in front of me. and stopped. One fanned out and the one I had already decided on stuck his periscope up, looking for the girl. Hammered him.
24 lb. 1 1/4" spurs. 10" beard.

Thank you Lord for this opportunity and for your provisions. I am blessed !

Next up for me: crappie and bluegill fishing.
View attachment 176465View attachment 176464View attachment 176466
My kind of turkey hunt. Congrats!

Latest posts