Switching back to pyrodex pellets

fishboy1

Used the american pioneer powder last year and it took some tweaking to get it to shoot well. Liked it a lot when I finally got it dialed in.

Went to the range Sat and bullets are scattered all over the place again. I think it is 2 things.

#1 inconsistant loading volume. When I pour powder into my measure the volume keeps changing as the powder "packs" itself. I swear you could pour 105 gr, set the measure on a table and come back 5 minutes later and it would be 90gr.

#2. Inconstant seating depth. 100gr pyrodex pellets seats the bullet 1/2" further out than the loose APP powder. When I seat the bullet over loose powder it has a mushy feel when it first contacts the powder. It will then seat another 3/4" deeper as you compress the powder.

Dont have time to tweak all the variables so Im going to switch back to 100 gr pyrodex pellets.

Anybody else have a very finicky MZ when using loose powder? What do you do to insure consistant results?

kmac29

mine seems to do ok with loose powder. i switched from pyrodex pellets this year to loose 777 powder and i like it.

fishboy1

Footer,
Just what I need, ANOTHER variable.

Got a box of pyrodex pellets $30!! Woooooiee that stuff got pricey.

Now I have to find time to get to a range somewhere and sight back in.

CHRIS WILSON

You're not the first I've heard complain about inconsistancy with APP. I've heard enough experiences from different folks that I won't even begin to think about shooting the stuff.

fishboy1

Im going to completely clean and disassemble the MZ. Check the lugs and see if there is barrel contact with the stock. then put everything back together and resight with Pyrodex pellets.

When I have time I will try the APP again but it is too close to season to play with something finicky.

Latest posts