Smokeless Switch from N120 to ????

Smokeless

TheLBLman

I have no desire for changing bullets, sabots, guns, or anything else,
and plan to continue mainly using bullets in the 290 - 300 gr range with the .50 cal bores.

So, what's the most similar and most likely to remain widely AVAILABLE "alternative" powder to N120?

Reloader 7? Something else???

And am I missing something here, or is there any reasonable chance of N120 coming back?

Roost 1

I would suggest Reloader 7 since IMR SR 4759 is being dis-continued... However whitakers guns had 27lbs of it last times was there... If you wanted some 4759 call whitakers and pay for it and I can pick it up and bring to the Vous, assuming we are having one. H4198 would be another option but it can be temp sensitive, however it is readily available..

TheLBLman

Roost 1":2sx71jju said:
I would suggest Reloader 7 since IMR SR 4759 is being dis-continued . . .
Appreciate your offer Roost 1, but am trying to avoid anything (such as IMR SR 4759) that appears likely to be unavailable a couple years down the road, so unless someone knows of a better choice than Reloader 7 . . . . . . looking like that's the best choice.

I've heard there may be some "new" powders out that are possibly better alternatives than R7? But, who knows, even if so, they might be harder to find than N120 a couple years down the road.

Still scratching my head wondering why N120 has been discontinued? Wasn't the demand high?

Roost 1":2sx71jju said:
H4198 would be another option but it can be temp sensitive, however it is readily available..
Guess I'm just a "stickler", and may be looking for something that doesn't exist, wanting the performance of N120 with the absolute reliability (and availability) of AA5744. Speaking of which, I may just end up being happiest with that AA5744.

Tar12

Wes R7 is a great alternative to N120. It is a double based nitro powder just like 5744. I have shot it in both the .50 cal .and .45 cal with excellent results. R7 would be my go to powder if N120 disappears for good.

TheLBLman

Thank you, Tar12.
I'm wanting to do a lot of shooting over the next few months, and don't want any worries about not being able to replace any components needed in the coming year or two. Might be able to find enough N120 to do this, but then would likely be starting over with something else next year because it's simply so unavailable?

Seems R7 will likely still be easy to find in at least the next 2 or 3 years.

mike243

what weight charge range does the reloader 7 use? I still have over a lbs of n110 but will keep my eyes out for some and do you consider it more consistent or produce faster speeds than n110?

Tar12

I took 3 different powders to the range in different charge weights for the maiden voyage of the first .45 I put together. 60 grn/N120 and 62 grn of IMR4198 and 63 grn of R7. All produced sub-moa groups @ 100 yds. I knew going into this range session from past IMR powder experiences in a smokeless gun that there was temp sensitivity issues and was only using it in this session to get on paper. I was pleasantly surprised with a tight 1 in group using the Harvester blue sabot and the 195 Barnes. Next up was the same sabot/bullet combo being pushed by the 63 grns of R7.This group measured .867. Next up was the 60 grns of N120 and that group produced a .547 group and thats what I went with. No tweaking as this was the evening prior to our opener. I am positive the R7 load can be tweaked and will flat kill deer!

Tar12

Scat I forgot to mention that the gun in the above range session was a 25 in. 1-22 twist Pac-Nor on a Savage action.

TheLBLman

Just want to say "Thank You" for all the comments. All Appreciated.
SCAT":2jrpo1w8 said:
Reloader 7 can be used for 200, 250, or 300 grain projectiles but it really shines with 300 grain projectiles. In a 50 cal, 60 to 68 grains works well with the 300 grain projectiles and will produce higher velocities than N110.
Yep, certainly appears Reloader 7 is my "best bet" ongoing as a substitute for N120, considering I plan to continue using 290-300 grain projectiles.

TheLBLman

Tar12":3gsppx9u said:
10x-70-75 grns
H-322-72-78 grns
Tar12, what are the merits in using either of these over Reloader 7?

And I in part ask this not only because you know far more about it than I, but also because I'm thinking you had previously said
R7 would be your "go to" powder if N120 disappeared.

Tar12

Wes if speed is what your after then either of these plus the 4198 will give you that...BUT they all require large amounts of powder to perform well. I will take the relatively mild Reloader-7 recoil over the shoulder thumping volume of the others. The deer will not know the difference of the speed in which they were killed....but your shoulder will.

mike243

Thanks for all the ? and answers, iI think id prefer the reloader 7 for what I'm after,if i get a chance to build/buy a 45 i may rethink that for it.seen a lbs of that last fall but couldn't remember reading about it being a good powder for a 50

TheLBLman

Tar12":lgtnn3pm said:
I will take the relatively mild Reloader-7 recoil over the shoulder thumping volume of the others. The deer will not know the difference of the speed in which they were killed....but your shoulder will.
Gotcha.
But you guys have me thinking I might prefer a "lighter" load of 10x over a "heavy" load of R-7. :D
Is 10x as reliable as R-7? Any "cons" with 10x other than more recoil?

Tar12

Thats the thing...there really is no such thing as a light load of 10x or H322...your .50 cal is like a junkie chasing after that first high....it takes more to achieve better results.Buy you some up and see if I am telling you straight....this is one reason guys switch to .45 barrels. You can shoot lighter projectiles with greater speed and less recoil.

Latest posts