Supressor

SSlater

I would like to check out a suppressor, just for fun. But I refuse to pay the ridiculous cost for them just because the government regulates them and taxes them in addition to their cost. If they are ever removed from the NFA prices will fall like a rock.
I agree 100%. I will not do it.

Mausermeister

Are you shooting normal hunting ammo, or subsonic?

(I imagine the subsonic rounds wouldn't be as effective on game.)
There are several bullets designed for good terminal performance on game at subsonic speeds. However, the importance of good shot placement increases exponentially with increased range.

Mausermeister

If you don't mind please suggest good subsonic bullets…
I've had good results in 300 Blackout with the 190gr Hornady Sub-X out to 120 yards. Though not designed as a subsonic bullet, the 220gr Sierra Pro Hunter works good at 50 to 75yards. I haven't tried them myself, but have been told that Outlaw State bullets perform well. There are others designed for subsonic expansion such as the Cutting Edge Raptor. Just about any soft cast lead bullets should do well.

44 mag

The 205 gorilla silverback in 300blk is a very impressive subsonic bullet. IDK if you can buy just the bullets I just have bought there loaded ammo

DaveTN

Maybe more states will follow Texas
Tennessee and Montana did it before Texas did it. It's called THE TENNESSEE FIREARMS FREEDOM ACT and it's still in force. However…. All the FFL's got a letter from the BATF saying they will enforce federal law.

No test dummies yet that I know of.

Last edited:

Wiley

Tennessee and Montana did it before Texas did it. It's called THE TENNESSEE FIREARMS FREEDOM ACT and it's still in force. However…. All the FFL's got a letter from the BATF saying they will enforce federal law.

No test dummies yet that I know of.
I've read some posts from Montanans over on longrangehunting.com that have bought suppressors manufactured in state and skipped the $200 NFA extortion. I haven't read of any problems ..... yet.

DaveTN

I've read some posts from Montanans over on longrangehunting.com that have bought suppressors manufactured in state and skipped the $200 NFA extortion. I haven't read of any problems ..... yet.
These guys in Kanas had a problem. I think suppressors should be legal. But I also think it's disingenuous for state LEO's and legislators to imply that residents are protected from federal prosecution. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Hammer

Just get them in the mix and forget about them. It will drive you nuts trying to predict when it will be released from nfa jail.

My first was 14 months, I had one come back in 3 months about five years ago. That was a bit surprising.

I get people not wanting to pay the tax, it sucks.
Over the course of a lifetime it's nothing and they put smiles on faces!!

SSlater

Just get them in the mix and forget about them. It will drive you nuts trying to predict when it will be released from nfa jail.

My first was 14 months, I had one come back in 3 months about five years ago. That was a bit surprising.

I get people not wanting to pay the tax, it sucks.
Over the course of a lifetime it's nothing and they put smiles on faces!!
I have hearing protection, less than $20. I can shoot whenever I want.

The noise actually puts a smile on my face.

skipperbrown

Look at it this way: A top tier suppressor costs $1400 w/ stamp. Top tier hearing aids cost about $5000. Since you will have to pick one, which will it be?

RockMcL

I gave my hearing to incoming long ago so the cost of hearing aids does not apply in my case. I do use ear pro while target practice and load development but sure would prefer suppressors if the gov would get back in their lane.

Latest posts