Supplemental Feed

Ski

What are the pros and cons, and would you consider it if legal? Anybody have experience with it? I'm not talking pouring a pile of corn to bait deer. I'm talking a supplemental feed program year round. I understand there are potential health risks to the deer but don't know any stats on how often a problem actually occurs. I'm also unaware of potential unintended affects on other wildlife.

I have property in a state where it's legal, and have been giving it a little thought, but I'm not yet confident in trying it. My fear would be adversely affecting the deer. I'm all about experimenting but not at the risk of harming the herd. Appreciate any input or experience yall might be willing to share.

bjohnson

I believe the costs outweigh the benefits. Just off of what research I've seen from MSU deer lab and other biologists. You're better off improving the habitat and increasing native forbs and browse.

BSK

I have clients that do it. I've voiced my opinion to them about it, but they are dead set on doing it, so I try to help them do it in as healthy a manner as possible. Besides the potential negative health concerns, the biggest problem is cost. You wouldn't believe their supplemental feed bill. I'm talking tens of thousands of dollars per year. The second biggest problem is benefits. I can't honestly say I see much of a difference in herd performance before and after.

Ski, I'll see if I can find it, but a very lengthy and comprehensive report exists where all of the relevant research into supplemental feeding is presented. It covers all of the potential negatives as well as positives. From memory, I can tell you the list of positives is short. The list of negatives is very, very long.

megalomaniac

Absolutely has a place in certain situations where (usually short term) there is not enough native or supplementally planted food sources to carry a herd through tough times (extreme droughts, extreme floods, etc)

I'd guess it would be beneficial a little less than .25% of the time

Ski

I have clients that do it. I've voiced my opinion to them about it, but they are dead set on doing it, so I try to help them do it in as healthy a manner as possible. Besides the potential negative health concerns, the biggest problem is cost. You wouldn't believe their supplemental feed bill. I'm talking tens of thousands of dollars per year. The second biggest problem is benefits. I can't honestly say I see much of a difference in herd performance before and after.

Ski, I'll see if I can find it, but a very lengthy and comprehensive report exists where all of the relevant research into supplemental feeding is presented. It covers all of the potential negatives as well as positives. From memory, I can tell you the list of positives is short. The list of negatives is very, very long.

That would be amazing! Thank you very, very much. It's something that has had me interested for some time but I've not tried it for fear of negative results. Sounds like my hesitation may have been well founded.

Ski

Absolutely has a place in certain situations where (usually short term) there is not enough native or supplementally planted food sources to carry a herd through tough times (extreme droughts, extreme floods, etc)

Yeah that's what I'm on the fence about. Deer aren't hurting on my place so it wouldn't be for survival purposes, but strictly as a means to offer them some advantage. I kind of already suspected the answers before I asked, but figured I'd bring up a discussion in case I was off base with my thoughts.

Deer@Dawn

Supplemental feeding is nothing new. Most ranches and lease holders feed in Texas. Particularly true if exotics are part of the game. Food plots are more work but generally less expensive and have usefulness beyond wildlife (e.g. clover helps fix nitrogen, turnips and dikon help hold the soil). Where legal it may be beneficial to supplement feed during times of distress. Lots of discussion, argument and controversy but both have a place and time.

Ski

I believe the costs outweigh the benefits. Just off of what research I've seen from MSU deer lab and other biologists. You're better off improving the habitat and increasing native forbs and browse.

It's not a big property, only 100 acres of almost entirely mature hardwoods. There are several thickened areas and I also run several plots. I think perhaps yall are correct. The opinions seem pretty unanimous. I'll put the idea to rest and continue focusing on the habitat. I do appreciate yall entertaining the conversation and offering thoughts! Helped a lot.

Ski

Supplemental feeding is nothing new. Most ranches and lease holders feed in Texas. Particularly true if exotics are part of the game. Food plots are more work but generally less expensive and have usefulness beyond wildlife (e.g. clover helps fix nitrogen, turnips and dikon help hold the soil). Where legal it may be beneficial to supplement feed during times of distress. Lots of discussion, argument and controversy but both have a place and time.

Yessir that's what has me intrigued ... and confused. My place is in Ohio, so not an area particularly known for harsh conditions. The deer don't starve. I was mostly interested in knowing if supplemental feeding would be beneficial enough to justify the cost and risk.

BSK

Both Mega and Deer@Dawn are correct. The situations where it is warranted are somewhat rare (in our area) but when those situations exist, it can be beneficial. Supplemental feeding is most common in regions that experience regular seasonal stress. For instance, South TX. South and West TX are basically deserts. The extreme weather conditions (lack of rain) can produce very stressful periods during the year, where little natural or planted growth is available. Another example would be the far Norh where deep snow and brutal weather conditions have a major impact on deer survival. A third potential location for supplemental feeding is in regions with extremely poor soils, such as central and southern Florida. Those sugar sand soils produce very little quality growth hence supplemental feeding could (and does) produce benefits.

However, in the MidSouth, conditions like these don't exist. The only situation where I would consider supplemental feeding is if the hunters have no control over the habitat, and the habitat is 100% mature timber (either hardwoods or pines). Mature timber produces very little in the way of quality food sources outside of fall acorn production. Again, if the hunters/managers have no control over the habitat (cannot cut timber), supplemental feeding could be warranted.

Ski

The only situation where I would consider supplemental feeding is if the hunters have no control over the habitat, and the habitat is 100% mature timber (either hardwoods or pines). Mature timber produces very little in the way of quality food sources outside of fall acorn production. Again, if the hunters/managers have no control over the habitat (cannot cut timber), supplemental feeding could be warranted.

Mine is deep hollers & steep ridges with mostly over matured hardwoods. However, I have thickened a couple areas and am in the works of having some of the giant old timber removed. It's also surrounded three sides by a 10,000 acre state forest with a couple large clear cuts within a mile. I've never in my life seen starving deer there. The herd density just isn't heavy enough to tax the forage. Doesn't sound like supplemental feeding would benefit me much if at all.

Deer@Dawn

Yessir that's what has me intrigued ... and confused. My place is in Ohio, so not an area particularly known for harsh conditions. The deer don't starve. I was mostly interested in knowing if supplemental feeding would be beneficial enough to justify the cost and risk.
My suggestion would be to supplement feeding only in distress times as long as you continue food plots. Amazing how many deer came to our property after we cultivated food plots.

Ski

My suggestion would be to supplement feeding only in distress times as long as you continue food plots. Amazing how many deer came to our property after we cultivated food plots.

Yeah I remember vividly the results of my first plot. It dramatically increased deer activity. Not only did it allow a family group of does to take up residence, it congregated bucks.

Latest posts