Food Plots Sunn Hemp for summer plot?

lpo1981

Anybody have any experience or ears anything about sunn hemp for swarm season food plot? Was thinking about using it mixed with some cow peas. Just looking for some real world review on them..

landman

During and after WW2
A lot of hemp was grown in western KY and middle
TN for rope, you could actually find it growing
wild many years

But I never heard of it for food plots,
hemp is mainly cut, dried, and smoked
Ask BSK he knows about hemp

Hunter0678

We are actually going to try some this year, it aint cheap but we bought 50lbs. I will post some pictures after we get it planted, I think were going to wait till early april to make sure there is no chance of frost. Were on the plateau so it still gets chilly up there this time of year.

MickThompson

I plan on trying some this year. I've read mixed results on deer use so I am going to use it as a structure plant for lab lab and cowpeas. It's supposed to be a good N fixer too. BTW, sunn hemp (crotolaria juncea) is a completely different species than hemp (cannabis genus).

Hunter 257W

I think it's significant that Whitetail Institute has just added SunHemp to their PowerPlant seed mix for this Spring. They claim that it functions as both Structure for the vine plants and Forage because the deer will actually eat the Hemp too.

Hunter0678

barkscraper, did you try them or just never planted them, I live just west of Chattanooga, if you ever get down dulap/pikeville way Id come up and get them from ya.

barkscraper

I have went another way with my food plots I got tired of planting 2 times a year and now I plant in the fall that last till the next fall with great results not having to fight weeds anymore. Its hard to get away this time of year but I do have a 50lb bag