Sun burned taters

FOX FIRE

Had a guy call me yesterday & said he had turned his taters out, had about 5-6 bushel on the ground, for me to come & get all I wanted, I told him I was out of town & it would be Sunday before I could get there.

How long can taters last after being turned out before they sun burn ??

TN Larry

I wouldn't leave them in the direct sun for even a day much less a week. They always need to dry out as soon as they are dug, but that is usually in a shed or barn away from the sun.

If they are in the shade, then they will probably be okay. However, if they are in the direct sunlight, that is no good especially for a week.

sc8point

I just looked this up to be sure because I had heard that the green potato skin is poisonous. Sure enough it is because of a chemical formed because of exposure to sunlight, solanine. It is not likely, but it can cause illness and even death. Google Irish potatoes turned green.

southernhunter

sc8point said:
I just looked this up to be sure because I had heard that the green potato skin is poisonous. Sure enough it is because of a chemical formed because of exposure to sunlight, solanine. It is not likely, but it can cause illness and even death. Google Irish potatoes turned green.
i had heard that all my life. Always wanted to know if it was true. Thanks

timberjack86

southernhunter said:
sc8point said:
i had heard that all my life. Always wanted to know if it was true. Thanks
:eek:

Latest posts