Summit Climbing Stand

outdoorsmen22

I sat in one of the Summit Viper stands last year, and realy loved it. I have an old old climber that is heavy and very uncomfortable. I would love to get me one of the Summits, but on my salary, they are just to darn high. If anyone has one they would like to sell, or has another climber like it, pm me, i would be interested in buying it off of ya.

Trevor2

Well worth the money, only climber i will hunt out of anymore. Plan to get another this year. Word of advice dont leave it setting on your porch with the open wholes of the frame facing up. Rains in it and freezes and it will swell and bust the frame, imagine that.oops lol

hoytguy

I had a ladder stand freeze and crack because the bottom of the legs stopped up with dirt and yes summit makes a very good stand

Baxter83

check around pawn shops, but also look on craigslist or golsn. There's usually lots of stuff like that on there.

btw, I have a summit goliath and I absolutely looooove that thing. I'm gonna try to save up a little $ and get one of the full wrap around seats for it before this gun season when temps drop off. If not this season I will next year anyway.

Hoss

Summitt makes a very comfortable stand. But watch the weight limits very closely. I have crushed 3 different ones. Each of them I was very close to the rated weight on stand.

The first one was rated at 280lbs. I crushed the hand climber when I weighed 275. The second one I broke the sit down bar on a Python, Had a friend straighten and weld it for me. Then the platform folded up on it a year later. I weighed about 310. It was rated for 300. The Last one was a Goliath. The paint started flaking off and you could see stress marks on the platforms in the same area the Python folded. It was rated for 340 or so and I weighed 360.

This is not a criticism of Summit or their stands. They are very good stands. Just pay attention to the weight ratings. Don't assume, as I did the ratings had some wiggle room, they do not.

stik

Hoss said:
Summitt makes a very comfortable stand. But watch the weight limits very closely. I have crushed 3 different ones. Each of them I was very close to the rated weight on stand.

The first one was rated at 280lbs. I crushed the hand climber when I weighed 275. The second one I broke the sit down bar on a Python, Had a friend straighten and weld it for me. Then the platform folded up on it a year later. I weighed about 310. It was rated for 300. The Last one was a Goliath. The paint started flaking off and you could see stress marks on the platforms in the same area the Python folded. It was rated for 340 or so and I weighed 360.

This is not a criticism of Summit or their stands. They are very good stands. Just pay attention to the weight ratings. Don't assume, as I did the ratings had some wiggle room, they do not.

i weigh 150 lbs on a "heavy" day so i don't think i will have a problem :D

Trevor2

Baxter83 said:
check around pawn shops, but also look on craigslist or golsn. There's usually lots of stuff like that on there.

btw, I have a summit goliath and I absolutely looooove that thing. I'm gonna try to save up a little $ and get one of the full wrap around seats for it before this gun season when temps drop off. If not this season I will next year anyway.

Try one out first!!!!! Not to sound mean or anything like that, but if your a bigger man, you will hate it. I am 185 and my brother has one on his summit, during bow season I fit comfortably, after its cold I am in there so tight its very unconfortable and I dont wear tons of clothes. Just that lil extra layer or two wedges me in there like a can of sardines. I chose to stay away from that seat.

Baxter83

Trevor2 said:
Baxter83 said:

Try one out first!!!!! Not to sound mean or anything like that, but if your a bigger man, you will hate it. I am 185 and my brother has one on his summit, during bow season I fit comfortably, after its cold I am in there so tight its very unconfortable and I dont wear tons of clothes. Just that lil extra layer or two wedges me in there like a can of sardines. I chose to stay away from that seat.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have even thought about that. I'm around 6'1" @ 210 so that may be an issue. Preciate it! :grin:

Trevor2

Baxter83 said:
Trevor2 said:
Baxter83 said:

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have even thought about that. I'm around 6'1" @ 210 so that may be an issue. Preciate it! :grin:

No problem man. I wanted one bad till he bought his ultimate viper which came with it and i tried it out one day.

robin48

I just ordered a Viper SS from Amazon. 239.00 free 2 day shipping. I'm about 15 lbs short of weight rating. Time to diet I guess lol.

Rubberduck270

Hoss said:
Don't assume, as I did the ratings had some wiggle room, they do not.

They should have been designed with a factor of safety just like anything else. Guess TMA doesn't require them to under rate their products. I've been eyeballing a Titan but just can't make myself spend the money...

Gizmo

I have one of the first stands they made bought it when I was in high school in late 80's .Have had to rebuild the seat a couple of times through the years.The shooting rest messed up on it so I took it off didn't need it anyway.Still use it today great stand.

Killing time

I have a Summit 180. You can face the tree or have your back to the tree. Love it ! But be sure to get a good nights rest cause it'll put u to sleep. Think i paid about $280 a few years ago. Well worth it.
Btw- what kind of dirtbag steals other people's stands ? Wouldn't do for me to catch em in the act.

Boone 58

outdoorsmen22 said:
I sat in one of the Summit Viper stands last year, and realy loved it. I have an old old climber that is heavy and very uncomfortable. I would love to get me one of the Summits, but on my salary, they are just to darn high. If anyone has one they would like to sell, or has another climber like it, pm me, i would be interested in buying it off of ya.

I own one summitt and one alum. model from Dicks sport goods and i absolutely love it. what ever you buy dont skimp on the price of a light weight Aluminum model whick usually is around 21#s.. that extra savings in weight is one regret you will never have. It has to be light to make it truly a bargain.

Latest posts