Food Plots Summer Plots on a Ridge Top

jmb4wd

Planted this plot on really high ridge top in Ashland City on April 24.

About a .50 acre plot, put down 2000 lbs of pellet lime, about 200 lbs of super rainbow triple 13. Finished it off with a few pounds of my 8 type clover blend and mix of buckwheat and cow peas.
IMG_1164_zpscfbb8dfd.jpg
[/img]
IMG_4903_zpse0fd4fff.jpg
[/img]

BSK

Great plot!

However, the big problem with these ridge-and-holler upland plots is how they look in late summer after a month of no rain and 90 degree temps. The soil is often so thin on those ridge-tops that they don't handle hot, dry spells very well. Although clover is definitely the best plant choice for summer.

landman

MFDC0535_zps767cf9e4.jpg

I have to deal with thin soil ridge tops, Imperial Whitetail clover works best for me, after soil test, lime and fert.

some fields going on 6 years old, you just can't work those fields up with disc, the one in the picture is 6 acres, was hardwood clear cut, sowed with in 30 days after timber being cut.

Ridges are more dependable with the wind

treefarmer

You did everything right, give it a summer and see what happens. You will learn what works or not and you can adjust next year. On my dry ridge tops the weeds take over in summer so instead I plant in the fall - a grain crop with a little clover and brassicas thrown in for fun. There is a crop(s) that will work well for you, you just need to experiment and find out the recipe for success. If the summer planting doesn't work switch to a fall planting.

BSK

Awesome plot landman. I've tried Imperial Whitetail in ridge-top plots and had very poor success. The Ladino clovers used in their mix normally require much better quality soils and higher soil moisture to be productive. I've had much better luck with clover mixes designed for dry soils, such a Durana.

landman

BSK said:
Awesome plot landman. I've tried Imperial Whitetail in ridge-top plots and had very poor success. The Ladino clovers used in their mix normally require much better quality soils and higher soil moisture to be productive. I've had much better luck with clover mixes designed for dry soils, such a Durana.

Thanks BSK

In our area we learned you can't put a disc on
that thin soil, our dozier guy is so good when he
Finish grades we sow and run cultipacker over
it. We do come back and no-till when needed
With oats or wheat and overseed with more clover

But soil testing and feeding to soil helps
build the ground

Latest posts