Summer Deer harvest "Farmer"

swhackmaster

So I visited my new lease last weekend to put out minerals and cameras. I met the farmer which leases the farming rights from the property owner. The farmer had mentioned contacting TWRA to get permits to shoot the deer now because they are destroying his beans before they can get up good. I would really like to keep the owner out of it. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? Contact TWRA myself and say please don't give permits

Winchester

I think its 100% up to the owner to apply for the permits if im not mistaken?? I don't think a lease justifies getting damage permits?

Beekeeper

II would think it would be the owner of the property being harmed, i.e. a bean crop. I also think a depredation permit depends a lot on the officer in that area. This might be avoided if hunters took enough deer off the property during hunting season. IMHO

Nealmeally

I hate to say this but I've watched this ruin deer hunting on more than one farm... This gives a whole new meaning to the word "pressure"....

deaddownwind

I've had this situation occur on a couple different farms. I basically worked something out with the farmer so that I could do the shooting to make sure I was shooting doe. The farmer simply got my name put on the permit. It took some time out of my evenings but it was worth it in the long run to save the bucks. With all the rain this year, it doesnt take long for the beans to get up big enough to where the deer wont hurt them. A couple of weeks can usually get the beans off to a good start. Worked out well. Even cut the tenderloins out instead of just leaving the whole deer laying like the farmer would have. Perfect for grilling season. I would even go over right at dark and call coyotes up to make as much racket as possible to try to keep the deer out. Even got lucky a few times and was able to leave a couple coyotes laying around.

pressfit

look at it like this.. you put out a garden to feed your family.. a groundhog takes up residence and starts eating everything in sight.. what do you do?? you kill him.. this is minor to the guy who has spent thousands and thousands of dollars on the beans so he can feed his family.. I know I plant about 100 acres each year myself... help the guy out and get on the list to kill the deer..

Latest posts