Success!!! Finally.

duckduck84

Well it's been a long season and as anyone who has read my posts knew I was getting discouraged. Seemed like all the deer had left our place this year. Decided to go out tonight for an evening sit and saw nothing.

About 5:10 I decided to get down and walk around and didn't see anything on the edges. Cut through a tree line to another field and was circling back to grab my pack, and my wife who had gone with me just to sit, and I decided to look back across the field where I had walked. Saw something standing several hundred yards down. Got it in my scope and could barely make out an outline. I was able to stalk the treeline to about 220 yards or so away from it. What I assumed was a lone doe feeding was just as nonchalant as you please. I ended up laying prone to rest the rifle, ranged it, and let it rip. Literally at last legal shooting light. Dropped straight down. Called the wife to walk down there, gave it a minute, and we walked up on... My first buck! Ended up being a 3 point, 4 if your feeling generous about that other little point lol Spine shot a little far back, but it did the trick. Wife helped me get him dressed and drug out to the truck.

The interesting thing about this deer for me was that we actually found out a friend of ours passed away last night and we almost didn't go out. Mid 20s and passed of colon cancer. Just insane and can't wrap my mind around it. Some part of me just feels like he was with me tonight. He wasn't a hunter, but he was an awesome man. So I don't know. Just after a long season and losing a friend it felt like this was a really special hunt.

Thanks to all you guys on here who have offered tips, advice, and encouragement this season. It has been much appreciated.

9032b7bf651a196ad1472b9e40f18908.jpg

da4dfcc6d7353b795774d594b9ab1a3b.jpg

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

Re: Success!!! Finally.

Congratulations! That's how it is sometimes with deer hunting - right when you are about to bust with frustration and boredom from seeing nothing, along comes a deer and you get it and you are on top of the world! :) Sometimes i wish it would be a little more steady and even.....

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

scubacamper

Kinda reminds me of golf - frustrating as all get out, then out of left field, you connect...and then the passion re-ignites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

Hunter 257W":zeq4hv0g said:
Congratulations! That's how it is sometimes with deer hunting - right when you are about to bust with frustration and boredom from seeing nothing, along comes a deer and you get it and you are on top of the world! :) Sometimes i wish it would be a little more steady and even.....

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
Definitely the feeling tonight.

Thanks everyone for the congrats and well wishes. Bittersweet night for sure, but I know my friend is home with the Lord now so I take a lot of comfort in that fact knowing he is no longer in pain.

duckduck84

Gravey":fu6tw75d said:
Congrats on the deer but sorry about the loss of your friend. Colon cancer in his 20's? That's not something you hear about every day. Prayers for his family.
That's been the hardest part about it. My wife's family has a genetic condition that can cause it but they've stayed on top of it with screening. Her oldest brother got it at 40 but got taken care of and is fine now. Terrible disease that had taken another person too soon. Just hard to imagine losing someone to it so young.

fairchaser

Congrats on your first buck. You worked hard for it but at the same time they are all blessings. It's funny how God uses hunting to speak with us. Sometimes we get too confident in our abilities and we get humbled and other times when we've given up he shows up to bless us. Sorry for your loss. This hunt will be one to remember for all time.

Latest posts