Stumbled Upon This Today

gasman

I believe I found @Headhunter 50 lb anchor today. It has washed ashore and landed in front of Mexico Beach Marina.

Attachments

• 4695C4CF-78EA-4599-84BF-B70B3F737BB1.jpeg
    4695C4CF-78EA-4599-84BF-B70B3F737BB1.jpeg
    570.7 KB · Views: 107

Headhunter

That would be 51 lbs. 1 pound more than I can handle. :)

I enjoy all the fun poked at me about a tool (the 50 lb anchor) that enabled to catch fish when many others couldn't or they would catch one and be a long ways away from where the fish were by the time they got it in. If I didn't have the ghost trolling motor now, my NOW FAMOUS 50 lb anchor would still be in my boat. I basically did not go to the lake without an anchor, my dad and my brother would always make sure I remember to take it out when we go to Canada. We camp on an island and the extra weight means something the way we get to where we camp. It has been said by them more than once that it would be nice to have an anchor when we are there though.

When I first started fishing and a friend brought anchor with him, I laughed and asked what are doing with that? Aren't we bass fishing? Didn't take but one trip to see the value of an anchor and there was basically no wind that trip.

One of the better tournament fisherman on Priest, Mr. Southerland, carried an anchor he made, 45 lbs or so, about 12" long and 6" in diameter and covered in about 3/4" of rubber. He used it religiously and there were several years when he showed up at tournament on Priest, people would be "who is going to be second" because they knew it was a good chance Mr. Southerland was going to win. He made one for me and gave it to me, I can't remember what I used for an anchor before he gave that one to me, but it was not heavy enough awkward to handle. Mr. Southerland saw what my anchor and made me one of his and gave it to me. Several knew that I have always been good friends with him and would ask me if knew his "secret" for catching bass. I would say yep, his anchor. I was laughed at made fun of more than anyone on here has or ever will. I would laugh at them when they complained about Mr. Southerland winning again. The anchor he made for me, I did a poor job of tying a knot one year, and lost it.

Hybrid fishing in strong winds, even winds that are gusting, can be great, the hybrids will stack up at times and if you can't sit in one spot, you will have trouble hitting that spot unless you are sitting still. Some of the spots I fish from the bank when possible but some are not reachable from the bank. Anchor makes a huge difference.

Also, watching guys below Cheatham (I always had a razor blade ready and anchored out of the current) but watching those guys try many times to get their anchor to hold (a few even gave up and left) and rockfish are blowing the top out of the water and the boats that got their anchor to hold are catching them and kind of have the area blocked off, those guys that couldn't anchor would be so frustrated. All I had to do was ease my anchor down and sit there.

Yep, ease it down, the one time I went to Reelfoot and fished with a couple of friends one of them had a jetboat, the guy that owned the jet boat is a LARGE man and I don't know what the anchor weighed. He would trolling motor to a shallow spot and then throw the anchor as far as he could in 3 to 5 feet deep water and could not understand why we didn't catch any crappie. Also, never stayed at a spot more than 10 minutes.

Can't count the times bass have been schooled up in 15 to 20 feet of water and it was strong winds. If you didn't hit the same small area, you didn't catch a fish and many times they wanted a worm, so staying still meant a lot.

Fun times though, being made fun for catching fish.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
You have runt me I know that.
Took my new boat out the first couple of times and didn't put my anchor in it.
Didn't take but 2 trips and it is in my new boat now.
It has accounted for a BUNCH of fish being put in my cooler this year.

It don't weigh 50# though. ;)

Headhunter

You have runt me I know that.
Took my new boat out the first couple of times and didn't put my anchor in it.
Didn't take but 2 trips and it is in my new boat now.
It has accounted for a BUNCH of fish being put in my cooler this year.

It don't weigh 50# though. ;)
It was most likely overkill, but it because it is small, it was easy to handle except for the weight.

Just wait til you get a trolling motor, completely makes fishing so much easier.