Study on Coyotes and Fawn Predation

pass-thru

I certainly wouldn't dispute their data on the affects on fawn predation, but I think many of the other "facts" they present about coyotes are off the mark. Coyotes have been studied up one side and down the other and they don't change from region to region. Coyotes are opportunists that run in alpha pairs with young of the year, which disperse late in the year. Dispersers will be the only yotes alone more than temporarily. They may mice alone but they hunt in groups. And no deer is safe from them. They are opportunists that eat whatever. But deer is always in the diet.

Grainger

pass-thru said:
I certainly wouldn't dispute their data on the affects on fawn predation, but I think many of the other "facts" they present about coyotes are off the mark. Coyotes have been studied up one side and down the other and they don't change from region to region. Coyotes are opportunists that run in alpha pairs with young of the year, which disperse late in the year. Dispersers will be the only yotes alone more than temporarily. They may mice alone but they hunt in groups. And no deer is safe from them. They are opportunists that eat whatever. But deer is always in the diet.

I'll agree, no deer is safe from a pack of 'Yotes, I've seen on here, and several other sites some gamecam footage of several 'Yotes taking down a 6-8 pt buck.

They also didn't really address any impact on Turkey populations, we know they're preying on Turkey, and certainly eating eggs out of the nest, but the study was limited in its scope.

relocatedduckman

Kill them all.. That's what I say.. I know a guy north of Jackson that has killed 20+ already this year.. I killed 1 the last day of duck season.. Sitting in the duck blind.. and the dang thing went and was peeing on my UTV tire.. LOL.. I hit him with the 3.5" BBB's.. he didn't know what hit him..

Grainger

relocatedduckman said:
Kill them all.. That's what I say.. I know a guy north of Jackson that has killed 20+ already this year.. I killed 1 the last day of duck season.. Sitting in the duck blind.. and the dang thing went and was peeing on my UTV tire.. LOL.. I hit him with the 3.5" BBB's.. he didn't know what hit him..

Now that dog definitely needed a good killin'.

BigGameGuy

Koyodiak said:
They also didn't really address any impact on Turkey populations, we know they're preying on Turkey, and certainly eating eggs out of the nest, but the study was limited in its scope.

It's a good bet skunks kill way more turkeys than coyotes. Although a coyote may scavenge a nest IF it happens to find it, a skunk is a natural nest predator and actually seeks them out.

stik

BigGameGuy said:
Koyodiak said:

It's a good bet skunks kill way more turkeys than coyotes. Although a coyote may scavenge a nest IF it happens to find it, a skunk is a natural nest predator and actually seeks them out.

and coons.

pass-thru

stik said:
BigGameGuy said:
Koyodiak said:

and coons.

and possums!

Latest posts