Stud 2.5 year old?

ZachMarkus

Lots of potential with this buck if he's as young as I think he is. What do y'all think?
A40D8075-A6EB-4FE7-BB27-9B317BA56EEF.jpeg

Lincoln Co Archer

If you made me pic an age, I would go 3.5. He could be a "tweener". Suspect the buck with his tail to camera is 2.5 for reference. Do you have any more pics/angles, mainly want to see his rear ham better.
Exactly where I was falling Andy. His front half screams 2.5, but from this pic and angle, his back half looks 3.5.

backyardtndeer

Think Andy is right. Looks closer to what I would expect the body shape of a summer time 3.5 year old to look like where I am in west Tennessee, but I don't know where you are at. Once his neck swells, he will look a bit thicker and may be easier to field judge an age.

BSK

Bucks can REALLY fill out between now and November. Here's a 3 1/2 year-old buck from mid-September to late October from last year. In the picture on the left (mid-September), his legs look really long in comparison to his chest depth, and his neck is very narrow. But in the picture on the right (late October), he's a filled out stud.

Attachments

• Buck2006b.jpg
    Buck2006b.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Buck2006n.jpg
    Buck2006n.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 100

BSK

I still vote 3.5, but man, that last pic really makes him look young. Just another testamenet to how hard one pic, one angle and one pose can be on aging deer.
Exactly. And that's why I'm always hesitant to give ages on bucks when someone gives me one picture to look at. Heck, I've got bucks I'm aging for clients, and even with a couple dozen pictures of a buck from different angles I still waffle as to age! Lots and lots of "tweeners" out there.

Latest posts