Storing powder?

woodyard

How do you guys that have a fair amount of powder store it? Do you store it all together or do you store smaller quantities in different locations? Same cabinet, same room ec
I have enough on hand that I think about it. Wondering what the safest and best method would be.

DaveB

There are rules about how much and how...very formal......Black powder is different from smokeless or it used to be........

I do not keep black powder with smokeless. No special precautions for primers and smokeless other than they are not in an airtight space.

One recommendation is to never let your Home owners insurance, neighborhood watch, neighborhood HOA, or anyone at all know how much of what you own. one pound or one hundred, it is not their business.

fairchaser

I used to store mine in my gun safe as I thought that was a less humid environment with my dehumidifier. After seeing how hot a house fire can get I decided it could explode inside the safe. That's not good! Now I store it in another spot where it can get air circulation at a stable temperature.

infoman jr.

I keep mine in a wooden cabinet in my shop. I wouldn't store it in something that would become a pressure vessel (gun safe) if there were to be an incident.

woodyard

Did some searching after posting this. There are probably more complications if you live in certain jurisdictions. Most of the people in the know recomend storing in a wood box, cabinet etc with at least 1-2 inch thickness of the wood. Never in a gun safe. Depending on how much you had, might not want the insurance or Fire Marshall or home owners assn. to know about it.

I guess I am good with the way I have been doing it.

Hunter 257W

I keep mine in a separate climate controlled building other than my house. Inside that building, it's just stored sitting in the floor in cardboard boxes.

Tiny

Wooden Box 3/4" n Lined with Styrofoam in my out building. Inside rubber made tote.

Latest posts