Stoeger 3020 turkey vs MbergSa-20

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have decided to get on the 20 gauge wagon. Trying to decide between the two, both have some things I don't like. SA-20 isn't fully camouflaged and looks like it weighs more in actually weight. The 3020 has that huge front sight and is 2" longer. Also is the Stoeger tapped for a mount?
All opinions are appreciated.

Gravey

I bought the Stoeger and cut the front site off with a dremmel tool. You can unscrew the top part and then cut the rest off. Hit it with some black paint and called it good. It is drilled and tapped. Bought the base from sumtoy and put a Burris ff3 on it. The only negative is when removing the rear site there is a hole in the middle that I need a rubber piece to put in. Doesn't affect anything just bugs me.
IMG_0650.jpegIMG_5831.jpegIMG_0648.jpegIMG_0649.jpeg

knightrider

I have decided to get on the 20 gauge wagon. Trying to decide between the two, both have some things I don't like. SA-20 isn't fully camouflaged and looks like it weighs more in actually weight. The 3020 has that huge front sight and is 2" longer. Also is the Stoeger tapped for a mount?
All opinions are appreciated.
Not all the 3020's have that awful front sight

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I bought the Stoeger and cut the front site off with a dremmel tool. You can unscrew the top part and then cut the rest off. Hit it with some black paint and called it good. It is drilled and tapped. Bought the base from sumtoy and put a Burris ff3 on it. The only negative is when removing the rear site there is a hole in the middle that I need a rubber piece to put in. Doesn't affect anything just bugs me.
View attachment 224395View attachment 224392View attachment 224396View attachment 224397
Did you have to drill and tap where you have the optic, or was it already there?

deerfever

The 3020 in the turkey version is drilled and tapped but has the sight that Gravey had to fix. The Normal 3020 does not have the awful sight but is not drilled and tapped. I have the Mossberg SA 20 Turkey Thug as it was once called it's drilled and tapped. Both the Stoeger and the SA 20 Turkey are great guns. The biggest difference the Mossberg is gas driven and the Stoeger is inertia. I like the feel of the Inertia better in my hand, that's just me. I have a 3020 also in bottomland. Now I will really confuse you Lol, I have a Weatherby Element turkey version in bottomland that I absolutely love and it is also a inertia gun. It's not drilled and tapped but I got a meadow creek mount and really like it as well as my tapped mounts. That's just another option in the same price range maybe even less. The two you are looking at are great guns, they both will.flat out shoot! I use a Carlson 575 turkey in both. Good luck, you will absolutely love the 20 ! Get one and don't look back, thank goodness I don't carry that 835 anymore!

rbreedi1

I've got the SA 20 Tactical Turkey.. fully camouflaged, removable sights, drilled and tapped. Comes with a rail but I took mine off and put a sumtoy customs mount and burris fast fire 3. I love the gun!

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've got the SA 20 Tactical Turkey.. fully camouflaged, removable sights, drilled and tapped. Comes with a rail but I took mine off and put a sumtoy customs mount and burris fast fire 3. I love the gun!
How do yo like the pistol grip stock, that's the only thing about that model I'm unsure of plus it adds some extra weight.

REN

Just me , i personally choose gas over inertia any day, the inertia is to easy to knock out of battery. I was down to the sa and the 500 greenleaf with the holosun optic, i went 500

It's really not though and imo is a way overhyped issue

I've shot THOUSANDS of rounds through my guns and all but one are the old bolt design (new one fixes this issue) and only once has it been out of battery. And that's in duck blinds, nasty duck bottoms, turkey woods, and dove fields. Again just my experience using them, but it's not really an issue. Main reason it does for some is they don't let the bolt shut when loading and try and ease it close

Now if you wanna go the recoil route then yes that is more accurate. Gas is much better in this area but the trade off is you have to clean gas guns way more for them to operate properly

knightrider

It's really not though and imo is a way overhyped issue

I've shot THOUSANDS of rounds through my guns and all but one are the old bolt design (new one fixes this issue) and only once has it been out of battery. And that's in duck blinds, nasty duck bottoms, turkey woods, and dove fields. Again just my experience using them, but it's not really an issue. Main reason it does for some is they don't let the bolt shut when loading and try and ease it close

Now if you wanna go the recoil route then yes that is more accurate. Gas is much better in this area but the trade off is you have to clean gas guns way more for them to operate properly
Had the famous Benelli click three times in one season, definitely was not closed lightly, just normal turkey hunting. That was enough for me, sold it and never went back. Of course just my experience your mileage may vary

REN

Had the famous Benelli click three times in one season, definitely was not closed lightly, just normal turkey hunting. That was enough for me, sold it and never went back. Of course just my experience your mileage may vary

fair enough, we are both prob opposite ends of the extremes. I dont even think about it or carry or treat my guns any different while in the woods. Just not something I have ever had an issue with or the few buddies that also carry benelli's. Not making light of it as it obviously was/is an issue or benelli wouldnt have redesigned the bolt to fix the issue.

my newer ethos has the new bolt and man its an obvious change. on the new design you can literally just push it lightly and it goes back into battery.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

What choke and shell are you shooting? Also any reliability issues? I'm thinking of picking up the turkey model without the grip.