stock/barrel alignment

gatodoc

I bought a Rem 700 ADL 243 on sale at Academy several years ago. It was an inexpensive gun, but the darn thing shot lights out. I killed several deer with it.

Not being satisfied, I decided to improve it. I ordered a Timney trigger and my bud installed it. Went to the range and it went from 1/2 inch groups to 3". My bud removed the stock and replaced it and it shot great.

I dropped it when getting out of the safe awhile back. Now groups are everywhere again. The stock was a cheap plastic molded one, but the barrel was free and a paper would slide under it. I ordered an aluminum bedded hogue stock for it. When I tried to fit it, the barrel was touching one side and had a gap on the other. I know I could remove some material from the side of the stock, but I've heard that a lot of Remingtons have a slightly off alignment between the recoil lug and the barrel and this can be repaired by a gunsmith and helps realign the barrel in the stock. Am I crazy in my thoughts on this issue?

infoman jr.

Dropping wouldn't make the recoil lug out of alignment. I'd take everything apart and rebuild it. Check for broken/loose scope mounting fasteners and proper torque on everything. The stock is also suspect. The hogue stocks are not the best.

gatodoc

I actually haven't shot it with the Hogue stock set up yet. When I couldn't slide a dollar bill under the barrel, I figured I had a problem....

I guess I need to takel it to the range and see what's what. The scope and rings are good. First thing I checked after the drop.

I hope I didn't screw up with the Hogue....Darn thing wasn't cheap...I'll shoot and see what happens but doesn't the barrel need space to oscillate freely in the stock?

Guess this is the price a pay for trying to "improve" a good shooter.... :)

I'll reinstall the stock and redo the scope and rings and see if it shoots and if not find someone smarter than me to look at it as I should have done in the beginning...

jlanecr500

I will never buy a hogue stock. The aluminum bedding block is flimsy in the forearm. If you bend it, the stock will touch the barrel. Also, where the action sits in the bedding block, from what I have seen, doesnt fit well. I gave away the last one I had.

I would sub a known good scope, rings and base.

gatodoc

jlanecr500":xicgj2he said:
I will never buy a hogue stock. The aluminum bedding block is flimsy in the forearm. If you bend it, the stock will touch the barrel. Also, where the action sits in the bedding block, from what I have seen, doesnt fit well. I gave away the last one I had.

I would sub a known good scope, rings and base.

Oh well....I may have messed up with the Hogue...

The rings are leupold twist lock steel rings....lapped...torqued to 26"#...holding a Nikon Monarch scope...

DaveB

swap the scope out.

Once dropped all bets are off, particularly if you are saying the rifle is spraying rounds, not shooting all to a pattern and that pattern is consistent.

Scope and or rings are loose or the scope has failed.

If the stock or barrel had some kind of defect, the defect would tend to be consistent. It isn't going to come and go, it would persist.

From your explanation, the problem is illustrating itself by very inconsistent shot placement on target.

When your Point of Impact ( POI ) is inconsistent you aiming hardware (could be you but not likely) is at fault.

I bet you have a picatinny rail. take just the screw out of the ring and be positive there is zero play in the rail mount. Be sure the rail is securely mounted and there is zero movement in any direction. attach one ring to the desired slot. Tighten the screw, no scope. does the bottom half move or is it TIGHT.

Repeat for other ring. Mount a new scope if you have one, but before you mount the old one take it into the most quiet place in your home and with the scope next to your best ear, tilt it so that objective lens is down and then back to up, listening for a noise however faint. If no noise, mount the old one.

Range time.

TNRifleman

Sounds like two isolated issues. The accuracy issue sounds to me like a scope issue if it was dropped. I would slide it back into the original stock and test to see what the accuracy does then. As for the Hogue stock, it doesn't take the stock being "off" by much to cause barrel contact. If it is centering in other stocks, it may be that the bedding block in the hogue is slightly off, causing the barrel to cant one way.

One thing I may have missed is when you changed the stock? Was the rifle shooting okay after you dropped it and then you changed the stock or did you drop the rifle after you had already changed the stock?

gatodoc

No shots were off with the old cheap plastic stock. Dumbass me bought an aluminum bedded hogue and when I mounted it side touched the barrel and wouldn't let a paper slide under it. I may send the stock back to hogue and tell them it "ain't right. Will replace my Monarch with another scope too and refit it....

Thanks for the toughts...

gatodoc

Finally got the Hogue stock installed. Found out the hard way the magazine is different for BDL than ADL. Had ordered the trigger guard and hinged floor plate. Had to go back and order the BDL magazine too.

Got it all tightened up and shot sub MOA with Winchester 95 gr off the shelf. Gonna try to load some 100 gr barnes for it and see how it goes.

The Hogue stock feels so much better than the cheap plastic stock that came with it. :)

Latest posts