Still holding horns

catman529

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
29,472
Location
Franklin TN
Checked backyard cam today. Buck that had one side several days ago still has one side. Another little buck showed up and he has both sides. Guess that means they are healthy. And explains why I found more old than fresh sheds this year.
 

lpo1981

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
710
Location
Dickson, TN
Here's a pic of a deer I got and what I think is a mature buck by body size, only got 2 pictures of it no pics of the face or head.. I could be wrong and its a big doe but it was alone.
309C6E52-08CA-4D1B-A965-92303891982C-799-00000078B92E6306_zpsfcedc712.jpg
[/img]
 

catman529

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
29,472
Location
Franklin TN
lpo1981 said:
Here's a pic of a deer I got and what I think is a mature buck by body size, only got 2 pictures of it no pics of the face or head.. I could be wrong and its a big doe but it was alone.
309C6E52-08CA-4D1B-A965-92303891982C-799-00000078B92E6306_zpsfcedc712.jpg
[/img]
hard to tell but it might be an old monster momma doe
 

lpo1981

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
710
Location
Dickson, TN
catman529 said:
lpo1981 said:
Here's a pic of a deer I got and what I think is a mature buck by body size, only got 2 pictures of it no pics of the face or head.. I could be wrong and its a big doe but it was alone.
309C6E52-08CA-4D1B-A965-92303891982C-799-00000078B92E6306_zpsfcedc712.jpg
[/img]
hard to tell but it might be an old monster momma doe
Yeh that was my thought to, this deer is huge compared to the other deer I have pics of.. Camera is still running so maybe I can get some better shots..
 

Bone Collector

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
18,864
Location
Murfreesboro, TN
All mine have finally dropped theirs. I just took my cams down and my last roll of pics had some big does that on closer inspection i realized were bucks.
 

Redfred16

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
1,407
Location
Hartland, WI
I saw 40-50 deer this weekend, in the Hendersonville Gallatin area, nothing seemd to have antlers and I even pulled over to check some out with binos.

Is it common down here to see antlers this late? I read the otehr threads and it seems to indicate a heathy herd, but is this normal?
 

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
75,388
Location
Nashville, TN
Redfred16 said:
Is it common down here to see antlers this late? I read the otehr threads and it seems to indicate a heathy herd, but is this normal?

It's only normal in that the herds have become much healthier of late. But bucks holding antlers until the new set starts to grow is normal for healthy Southeast deer. Northern deer are influenced by snow depth, in that it is helpful for them to drop their antlers early so they don't have to carry the extra weight through the winter. One of the unique Natural Selection-driven differences between northern and southern deer...
 

Latest posts

Top