Stewart & Houston County Rut Question?

RiverBuck10

Any word on the rut up there? Going to hunt LBL in 2 weeks and wondering if the rut is in full swing up there or if it might be on when I am there?? Any chasing going on??

TrailWatcher

Last weekend the woods were alive at night with chasing and Sunday a friend got a pretty good buck with its nose to the ground....But I still don't think the does are ready yet...I'm heading backup this weekend or sooner if I get a call from the guys at camp...look at my posts below on this and what I found out was going on at night with my trail cams..

8up

Scrapes are going cold and what deer I see are either lone does or fawns . a week ago I could count 30 scrapes but to be fair I did kill 1 buck that was chasing a doe opening of MZ.

Hunted this past weekend in area 15 at LBL and except for maybe 10 minutes of 2 days 5am-5pm I saw notta. 4 of us saw 8 deer total all weekend. The guys around us did kill a couple and I will tell you they were in thickets where you could not see farther than 15yds unless you were in a tree. My nephew helped them drag one out is the only reason I know that.

TrailWatcher

update : My buddy killed a 150 class deer last night..He said he made a couple of grunts and a snort wheeze and the deer came running right to him...

ncboyhuntintn

Most of the guys in my Houston Co. club think the rut has ended. We saw a ton of deer opening weekend of mzl and very few since. Almost every deer were 2.5 yr. old 8pts and does with em.

medwc

I hunted LBL twice this week. I seen a few does, small bucks and one good 10 point(missed just over his back). Does seemed to be just feeding/moving around, bucks were just cruising around. I never seen nor heard any chasing. The 10 point I shot at was checking scrapes. He was walking fast to each one, sniffed around it, scent mark a couple branches with his nose gland, never tinkled in any. Will be up there the next 3 days too.

landman

I don't think the big ones are doing it yet as of today
people seeing chasing but most are 2 yr olds a few 3
many seeing large groups of does together

Latest posts