Stealth cam or spy point?

bbuck14

I would like to try the Spypoint Tiny-W2 with the black box that you could put 250'away from the camera. Maybe then I can get a picture of the thieves stealing my cameras. But to answer your question I haven't tried either one of those brands at all.

BSK

Neither. Not a fan of either company. Very high failure rates experienced by purchasers of both companies' products. But if I absolutely had to choose one of the two, then Spypoint.

Vermin93

BSK said:
Neither. Not a fan of either company. Very high failure rates experienced by purchasers of both companies' products. But if I absolutely had to choose one of the two, then Spypoint.

Absolutely not true. Spypoint cameras have a good reputation for reliability. There are hundreds of user reviews online that validate this. I have been operating several of their models for 3 years (IR-C, FL-A, G4, IR-5, Pro-X Plus) - with zero failures. Have many have you run?

In the under $200 category Spypoint cameras can hang with any other brand. In the under $150 category you will be hard pressed to find a better brand.

Vermin93

Beardendy88 said:
Well I ended up getting two spy point ir 7's

You should be pleased. The IR-7 has received good reviews by both individual users and the trail cam review sites. If you have any issues or questions then send Spypoint an e-mail. They will reply to you pretty quickly.

If you plan to leave them out for a long time (a few months) before you check them then I recommend spending the extra money on Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's. They have provided excellent battery life in my Spypoint cams.

Energizer Ultimate L91BP-4 Lithium AA Battery - 24 Batteries

Also, the shortest delay you can set with the switch on the camera is one minute. However, Spypoint has implemented a way to change the delay to 10 secs if you want. To do this you turn the camera off and hold down the up button and then turn the camera back on. This will change the delay from one minute down to 10 secs.

When you receive the cameras go to this link to see how to verify what firmware is on the cameras. Make sure you are running the current firmware load for the IR-7. It looks like the current load is v1.1, which came out at the end of November.

Spypoint devices firmware updates

The IR-7 can record sound when it's in video mode, which is a pretty cool feature. Have fun with them!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Vermin93

Beardendy88 said:
Is the red light on the camera supposed to blink all the time?

If you have the camera in "Set/Test" mode then it will keep blinking.

Once you switch it to "Photo" or "Video" mode it should blink for about a minute and then go off.

BSK

Vermin93 said:
BSK said:

Absolutely not true. Spypoint cameras have a good reputation for reliability. There are hundreds of user reviews online that validate this

And I read just about as many bad reviews--units that fail right out of the box or soon after they are operational.

I have been operating several of their models for 3 years (IR-C, FL-A, G4, IR-5, Pro-X Plus) - with zero failures. Have many have you run?

I don't use them because of their reputation of early failures. Unfortunately, I got burned on several Stealth cams, hence I don't use any of them either.

In the under $200 category Spypoint cameras can hang with any other brand.

I strongly disagree.

Vermin93

This is not even worth debating. All the major trail cam review sites disagree with you, the overwhelming majority of actual Spypoint users disagree with you as evidenced by the majority of positive online reviews of their cameras, and a simple Google search of "Spypoiny camera reliability" offers little to no evidence to support your unexperienced opinion. My friends and I operate over 40 game cams in 3 States. 18 of them are Spypoint. Zero failures in 3 years. Enough said.

You know a lot about deer, but very little about Spypoint game cameras. I agree with you on Stealth Cams. Covert also makes a good cam in the sub $200 and sub $150 category, but the Spypoint G4 and IR-5, which can be had for about $100, are a very hard value to beat.

Latest posts