Standing Corn ?

mimitk

I have never hunted standing corn before are farm we hunt the land owner has planted corn. So my ? Is do deer prefer the corn soft on ear or hard and also is it worth hunting early season I do know that when he picks it they will be all over it what I am asking is it worth bow hunting will they eat it thanks

Mike Belt

The deer don't have to have the corn on the ground to eat it. They'll move through standing corn but getting a shot may be the problem. Most of the time the corn is planted right to the edge of the field and there may not be enough open area for a shot.

sloughfoot

I agree, find a corner of the field where they are coming in and setup. I have had very good luck hunting around standing corn they don't just use it for a food source but also to bed in. Seems to me they move more around standing corn.

double browtine

sloughfoot":1q94zrc7 said:
I agree, find a corner of the field where they are coming in and setup. I have had very good luck hunting around standing corn they don't just use it for a food source but also to bed in. Seems to me they move more around standing corn.

This ^^^^^^^ hunt in the corner where they are entering it

Hunter 257W

landman":da6ff3mz said:
See if you can buy 2-3 acres and knock it down as you like

What would you have to pay to do this? I'd think they'd want at least $500/acre. That would add up fast.

Standing corn is great to hunt around because it not only draws deer to it for feed, but they feel more secure using it because it provides cover. That's why i love to have corn in my food plots when i can.

landman

Hunter 257W":3e5ena7n said:
landman":3e5ena7n said:
See if you can buy 2-3 acres and knock it down as you like

What would you have to pay to do this? I'd think they'd want at least $500/acre. That would add up fast.

Standing corn is great to hunt around because it not only draws deer to it for feed, but they feel more secure using it because it provides cover. That's why i love to have corn in my food plots when i can.

Corn is $3.50-3.60 a bushel now, all depends on how good of a crop they have, if it's 150 bushel corn $525 per acre.
That's 8,400 lbs of shelled corn, but they may only have 100 bushel corn.

Either way 2 acres of corn lasts a long time, unless you have high deer numbers, you can knock it down as you need it, they will eat it either way and it gives cover that the deer will use epically when bucks are looking for does.

catman529

Find the area with the most corncobs that have been stripped of kernels but still on the standing stalk. Deer will eat it this way but raccoons will pull the whole stalk down. I spent all day checking standing corn fields and clover and wheat plots and it was hard to find a concentration of deer sign as they seemed to be all over. But I think I found a good spot. And remember they can also bed down in standing corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts