Squirrel Rut

Weegee

Anybody else see the squirrels going crazy lately? I came across a whole slew of them this weekend and shot six in like 90 seconds. It seemed like they were rut crazed and weren't paying me any attention. Makes me wonder if I should prioritize squirrel hunting during the next week or so to capitalize on it. I don't normally save their organs if I get one or two, but the hearts, livers, and kidneys from nine squirrels makes for a pretty good amuse bouche ;)

mike243

They are like any other critter when its go time they go lol , have seen them rutting in the beginning of season, not sure how long it takes them but have seen babies in early February, I read they can or do 2 litters a year,

SquirrelDog1

Rutting squirrels have been driving our dogs crazy all week. Multiple squirrels timbering out of the trees and nothing like being treed on one and another coming down to the ground a few trees over. Makes for one heck of a dog race.
A5FB921C-1938-486E-84E0-AB12A3A61ED8.jpeg

Weegee

Weegee, sounds like you are trying to be the squirrel whisperer around here.... now give us your favorite recipe for them tree rats!
I doubt I would be in the top 50 squirrel hunters on TNDeer...

My wife just made some squirrel, sausage, and shrimp gumbo that turned out pretty good. I like to slow cook them, pick the meat, and then the possibilities are endless. My favorite way we've ever done that is to put the picked meat in a Thai curry with with various veggies and serve over rice.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I doubt I would be in the top 50 squirrel hunters on TNDeer...

My wife just made some squirrel, sausage, and shrimp gumbo that turned out pretty good. I like to slow cook them, pick the meat, and then the possibilities are endless. My favorite way we've ever done that is to put the picked meat in a Thai curry with with various veggies and serve over rice.
I've got 10 bucks that says you've never wasted a piece of meat in your life!

redgineer

Squirrels mainly breed in the spring and summer. Most of the chasing seen in late fall and early winter is them fighting over dwindling food resources. It looks cute and fun, but squirrels are extremely cruel to each other. Nature is amazingly beautiful, but unbelievably brutal. That is the best time of year to hunt squirrels in my experience, but hard to find a place to hunt, since it's also deer season.

Weegee

Squirrels mainly breed in the spring and summer. Most of the chasing seen in late fall and early winter is them fighting over dwindling food resources. It looks cute and fun, but squirrels are extremely cruel to each other. Nature is amazingly beautiful, but unbelievably brutal. That is the best time of year to hunt squirrels in my experience, but hard to find a place to hunt, since it's also deer season.
I'm not a biologist, but my understanding is that they breed twice per year. Once in the early winter and once in spring.

Weegee

The latest Meateater podcast (2/8/21) has a squirrel expert on explaining everything you would ever want to know about them. I'm not finished with it yet but it's been great so far. Learned some fascinating stuff so far.
I listen to it religiously, and today's is a really good one if you are even halfway interested in squirrels.

hard county

The latest Meateater podcast (2/8/21) has a squirrel expert on explaining everything you would ever want to know about them. I'm not finished with it yet but it's been great so far. Learned some fascinating stuff so far.
I listened this morning. Great stuff. Can't imagine 45 boar squirrels after a female in one tree.

redgineer

I'm not a biologist, but my understanding is that they breed twice per year. Once in the early winter and once in spring.
I just checked Tn.gov, and the say they breed from Dec-Feb, which is earlier than I thought, so I stand corrected. I would think they tend to breed more towards February, but I could be wrong. With their 44 day gestation period, that would result in a spring birth.

I'm definitely going to check out that meat eater podcast. I love anything Steve Rinella is involved with.

Nimrod777

Don't give up too soon, Redgineer... I'm pretty sure those 8 male squirrels were chasing a female that had found a peanut! ;)

I had just listened to the ME podcast this morning. Well, not the whole 2 HOURS of it, but the first segment with the squirrel guy. Startling stories of squirrel sex! (And amazing stories of squirrel falls from great heights!)

redgineer

Don't give up too soon, Redgineer... I'm pretty sure those 8 male squirrels were chasing a female that had found a peanut! ;)

I had just listened to the ME podcast this morning. Well, not the whole 2 HOURS of it, but the first segment with the squirrel guy. Startling stories of squirrel sex! (And amazing stories of squirrel falls from great heights!)
I deserved that lol. I'm more than happy to admit when I'm wrong.

I still think there is something to finding the dwindling food resources that time of year though. Whenever I find the last remaining acorns on the ground in early winter, I tend to find squirrels going crazy.

Latest posts