Squirrel dog

FoxFire

Im 2 years into my first squirrel dog, a streak bred OMCBA cur. I grew up with retrievers- labs and chessies- and this cur is by far my favorite dog I've ever had in the house.

As far as training, my advice would be to get the best bred one you can find in whatever breed you want, spend the first few months of its life teaching it any obedience stuff you want it to be able to do, and take it to the woods as much as you can. The more its in the woods the better it will be.
Obedience training !!!! Very, very important and largely overlooked part of training a dog, Show up with a dog that cant be controled and itll get you black balled with some dog people, take it serious.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Get a feist bred to hunt. Best pets and dogs I have ever had. All three of mine have been house pets until time to hunt. Treat them right and if the bloodline is quality and you take them to the woods regularly, they will tree.
Same with our 4 Feist. Great house dogs and squirrel hunting machines!

777rellik

Scouts moma is fiest and daddy is cur...
He is 9 months old and coming along real good..
He is a house dog at night and in fence during day unless is it bad cold.
Very smart dog, he looks too the trees and smells every inch of every downed timber.
He will follow commands and never hunts too far without checking in for a quick look at you like come on lets hunt..
Love too have a female in about a yr too hunt male with..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-203540.png
    Screenshot_20220108-203540.png
    718.6 KB · Views: 57