Sprint vs Triton

double browtine

I haven't heard good things about those Mercury EFI's. If you could find an optimax, you would be better off IMO.
Never have ridden in a sprint bass boat. I think they were made by the same company that made the old hydrasport hull, but I'm not positive. I think the old Triton hull design rode better than the never ones, so I would probably pick the Triton. Are both the same length? If they are both 20' or longer my guess is the Triton may run slower, but take rough water better than the sprint. Give them both a test drive and see.

BlackEagle1

I'm not a triton man, but I would probably pick it over the sprint just for easier resale later.i had an efi that had no issues but the optimax I had was absolute total junk. Buying used boat motors is always a gamble anyway tho.

416wbymag

BlackEagle1":1cvrt6v9 said:
I'm not a triton man, but I would probably pick it over the sprint just for easier resale later.i had an efi that had no issues but the optimax I had was absolute total junk. Buying used boat motors is always a gamble anyway tho.

Thanks for the reply, I have never really looked at Triton before but this one looked pretty nice. After I read that they handle a their hulls like Stratos and Ranger I became more interested in them.

Eternally have a ranger that I really like but it's a 1983 model and I would like to have something a little wider and more stable

Just out of curiosity, what do you prefer?

double browtine

For what it's worth, I owned a 1991 Stratos 275 Pro. It had an Evinrude 150 spitfire, 4 blade 25pitch SS Shooter prop. With 30 gal of fuel, all our gear, and a friend, it would run 62 mph and it was fun to drive and had a great holeshot with the 4 blade prop. I hated to sell it, but the family would not all fit on it. Also, my dad had just bought a used but very nice 2004 Triton TR 186 with a 150 optimax.
The difference between the two boats was like this.
The Stratos was older, a foot shorter, and heavier than the Triton, but it took rough water better, road smoother in choppy water, and ran faster than the Triton. The Triton tops out at about 58-59 with 2 on board and all your gear.
The Triton was newer, had a better storage layout and better accessories. The Evinrude was a V-6 with carbs and got about 2 mpg at wide open throttle. The optimax however got awesome fuel mileage. I drove both on Kentucky lake for many miles and the Stratos by far outperformed the Triton. However, now I think Ranger, Stratos, and Triton are all made out of the same factory in Arkansas. In closing, if money was not a problem, and I had to choose to by a new bass boat, I would probably buy a Phoenix, with a Honda outboard. I rode in one once and it was a smooth riding boat.
Main thing to consider when buying a boat is, check the transom real good for cracks, damage, etc., Get compression check on the cylinders, or if newer, get the dealer to plug into the motor and get the number of hours on the engine.

416wbymag

Thanks for all the info

Would definitely buy a phoenix if funds allowed.... I really want to stay in the 6 to 8.5k range...

I love my ranger but they hold their value to well for me to pick up a newer one...

TNReb

Check out the storage layout of both if possible. Assuming both boats were equally reliable, I would rather have one that had extra room for rods and tackle than one that went an extra 5mph.

Latest posts