Spring Squirrel Tactics

trealtree

Walk along the creeks. Over cast calm days are good all day long. BUt morning is best for sunny and warm. They seem to be eating the buds from nut trees right now. I know they are tearing up our pecan tree buds. And I have granted their death wishes on many occasions this spring.

stik

there were many times during turkey season i could have limited out and never moved. i prefer to sit with the leaves on the trees.

catman529

Me and a buddy are going out on Saturday. I see them running up trees while walking along logging roads, along the river bank, and sometimes just through the middle of the woods. Big oak and hickory trees are a plus for squirrels, and I got a spot that's full of them. We'll just be walking around with shotguns and #8 shot loads, and shoot them when we get the chance at one.

Still hunting would be too much... there were a couple times while turkey hunting that I saw squirrels still hunting, but not much. I did have one at arm's reach on a tree to my right, but that doesn't usually happen. I saw most of my squirrels during turkey season while walking down the logging road or through the woods. So we will be walking through the woods with sharp eyes looking and listening for movement in the trees and on the ground.

StalkingWolf

catman529 said:
Me and a buddy are going out on Saturday. I see them running up trees while walking along logging roads, along the river bank, and sometimes just through the middle of the woods. Big oak and hickory trees are a plus for squirrels, and I got a spot that's full of them. We'll just be walking around with shotguns and #8 shot loads, and shoot them when we get the chance at one.

Still hunting would be too much... there were a couple times while turkey hunting that I saw squirrels still hunting, but not much. I did have one at arm's reach on a tree to my right, but that doesn't usually happen. I saw most of my squirrels during turkey season while walking down the logging road or through the woods. So we will be walking through the woods with sharp eyes looking and listening for movement in the trees and on the ground.

I do not think the mast trees are productive in the spring. A good mulberry tree would be nice.

catman529

StalkingWolf said:
catman529 said:

I do not think the mast trees are productive in the spring. A good mulberry tree would be nice.

I saw a lot of squirrels in the mast trees earlier in the spring but not so many today. They were kind of at random in the woods, although most of the woods are full of hickory and oak. Plenty of leftover nuts from last year too.

catman529

Bone Collector said:
I saw them on the hickory flats during turkey season. one night i saw at least 15.

Thats a lot... I never got to turkey hunt evenings, but saw most squirrels from early to mid morning. Even practiced pointing my gun at them before squirrel season opened.. just to see if I could get a bead on one without it running behind the tree. Saw lot in oak and hickory during turkey season, but now they seem to be just about anywhere because nowhere is too far from a big hardwood to run up.

Latest posts