Food Plots Spray, throw and mow mixture

Mr. Hawk

I did this method last year with red clover and winter wheat and it turned out great. I've sprayed already and getting ready to "throw" soon but was considering adding some other seed at same time as the wheat and clover. Im considering buck forage oats, daikon radishes and turnip tops. Will all of these work with this method and are the recommended planting dates about the same on them all?

megalomaniac

In general, the smaller the seed, the better it will do with a 'throw and mow' technique.

I'd say the radishes are the biggest seed you have a chance of germinating well unless your ground is quite soft.

DoubleRidge

It looks like rain for the next 5-6 days here. Is it too early to sow it if I did it today?

Not too early at all.... forecast looks good to start....we're prepping a few more plots today and hope to have all the seed on ground by next weekend....I'd love to have all my seed out today....just not there yet.

DoubleRidge

I did this method last year with red clover and winter wheat and it turned out great. I've sprayed already and getting ready to "throw" soon but was considering adding some other seed at same time as the wheat and clover. Im considering buck forage oats, daikon radishes and turnip tops. Will all of these work with this method and are the recommended planting dates about the same on them all?

We have a few plots we are trying the same thing on....wheat, radish, turnip and rape... spray, throw and mow.....if it comes in good...great...if it's thin we may top sow with winter oats or wheat.

BSK

Mr. Hawk,

I used to do all my plots by the spray, broadcast and mow technique. It produced fine plots. But as everyone else mentioned (and some fantastic advice in this thread), stick with smaller-seeded plants (nothing larger than cereal grains) and you'll do fine. The turnips/rape would be a good addition. And no, it's not too early for planting. My most productive plots were planted in mid-August.

Latest posts