spray paint vs wrap

pass-thru

I just want 6" of plain white on the end of my shafts. Is there any disadvantage of using spray paint instead of wraps?

eddie c

straight paint will not work. there is not a good bond against the shaft for fletch to hold. the paint will have to be coated with poly or laquaer(sp?). wraps are easier and better if you want the white under the fletching.
since I shoot trad, I have tried my hand at cresting arrows and suck at it. I use wraps on my arrows since I use carbon shafts with my longbow. if I shot wood, I would work harder with the paint.

JeepKuntry

I don't do either, but I'd think that wraps will carry less scent. I'm sure over time the paint smell will diminish, but I wouldn't wanna chance it.

Radar

I have used both spray Lacquer and wraps , and I think the wraps look much better . You can use white lacquer as a base and fade the front half with color . The color fade can be enamel ,but the base has to be lacquer to achieve proper adhesion to the shaft .

Here are some shafts I did a few years ago
Tylersarrows.jpg

Toxophilite Phil

Here are a couple I done with paint. Used Bohning products. I haven't done any dipping and cresting in a couple of years. I have used the wraps this year. For ease use the wraps. You can get about any design you want to use.

100_0500-1.jpg

eddie c

that is some good work guys. it is just one thing I havent spent a lot of time ( or money for the good supplies) on trying to accomplish.

fishboy1

for a quick paint job,
Mask off the fletchings and the arrow where you want the paint to stop.

Then give it 2 light coats with white appliance epoxy.

Quick, easy and works good.

onebuck

I think I'm going to get a dozen of the Gold Tip permanently-crested Pro Hunters to try. They look mighty sharp on their website (goldtip.com)!
They're about $125/dz.. What I shoot now are $115 without wraps.

Latest posts