Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper

R&T Farm

I have been using a Spot Hogg Wiseguy BOA but decided to try a thumb release. I ordered a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper from Amazon.

Not sure if I like it or not yet. I'm having trouble finding an anchor point. Also it's just me but I'm also having trouble not touching the thumb release. Even when I set the tension high, I still frequently cause it to release before I'm ready. On the positive side it seems much easier to draw back than with my wrist strap.

My question is: would it be worth trying a Stan Onnex? They are about $180 more so I'm wondering if they are that much better than the Whipper Snapper.

UCStandSitter

I have been using a Spot Hogg Wiseguy BOA but decided to try a thumb release. I ordered a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper from Amazon.

Not sure if I like it or not yet. I'm having trouble finding an anchor point. Also it's just me but I'm also having trouble not touching the thumb release. Even when I set the tension high, I still frequently cause it to release before I'm ready. On the positive side it seems much easier to draw back than with my wrist strap.

My question is: would it be worth trying a Stan Onnex? They are about $180 more so I'm wondering if they are that much better than the Whipper Snapper.
Have the Perfex and can say unequivocally it is an upgrade. Onnex is just the latest version of the Perfex

david k.

I have 2 Whipper Snappers (one open jaw for 3D and one with the closed jaw for hunting) and love them.

When you draw, just wedge your thumb behind the trigger until you come to anchor...that should solve the issue with triggering the release before you're ready.

The other problem you might be running into is that the draw length may feel a little short since you switched from an index release because your anchor point is different. I switched from index to SHWS 2-3 years ago and went from 28.5" to 29" cam on my Mathews afterwards.

Good luck!

Interesting!
I have been shooting with a Stan 4 finger Shootoff for several years. A very high quality release that i have used in tournaments as well as hunting. I recently bought a Wiseguy and plan on trying it out for hunting. I like the idea of a strapped release for hunting but just have always used hand held since I shot alot of tournaments and didn't want to jump back in forth between different styles.

CrossVolle

For strictly hunting purposes, you will be hard pressed to find a better release than this for the price. Tons of adjustability as far as the trigger position for your thumb & trigger sensitivity. I just keep it in the same pocket in my pack all season the just clip it on when i get settled up in the stand. I have thousands upon thousands of shots on mine and it is still as smooth as new.

Methane

I had no clue releases cost this much. I've been using the same ole release for about 15 years. Does a good quality release make a significant difference? I don't even know the brand I have, but I love it because there's no Velcro and no "belt buckle" closure. Just a web strap with a piece of plastic that cinches it closed, and uses 2 beads to attach to the string, they are relaxed once the trigger is pulled, releasing the string.

Latest posts