Split shotgun hull- reason for concern?

MickThompson

As the title says, I shot a 3" shell in my 20 gauge today and it split the hull nearly to the brass. I've never seen this before that I can remember. Is this any reason for concern or just chalk it up to plastic getting brittle on a 14* morning?

DaveB

I'm assuming this is a factory shell.

Almost has to be a simple defect from the factory. Chaneylake will know.

DaveB

Kent has good reputation, I would email their CS with a picture of the split case.

And if you have any before and after shells I would send them all back to Kent for analysis, properly separated.

I cannot find my shotgun buddy from California bu I am thinking a bad wad, SOMETHING, in the construction process went dead wrong.

The Salton Sea area of California is below sea level and brutal cold, below zero lots of times, and none of my shells ever split. I also chased jackrabbits around Pear Valley in temps over 100 with no problems either. BTW jackrabbits do not taste good.

Hunter 257W

I've had the brass split fairly often with reloaded shotshells and it never caused a problem at all. I just took it as an indicator that hull was worn out. Seems to happen more with the high brass hulls than low brass even when both are loaded the same.

Never shot enough factory loads to know much about them.

Chaneylake

MickThompson":3mzkzi2c said:
They are in Kent's hands now

Glad you sent it to Kent.

You will receive an answer hopefully.

Winchester and Remington have always replied back.

They definitely want the item and they have always sent a token of appreciation back to sender.

I have gotten $25 gift cards and vouchers for ammo at stores.

I always send balance of ammo and box it came in.

Latest posts