Spider in the pee hole

Tenntrapper

Going camping in a couple weeks. Wanted to make sure boat was good to go, so the kids and I took it to the lake today. Got it in the water, and started it up (love how easy this f25 is to start), no pee. Shut it off, and started looking for pee hole. Finally found it (it's tiny). Yep, as tiny as that hole is, it was full of dirt. I'm guessing a small spider. I didn't have anything on me to clean it out either. Fortunately, another boater gave me a fish hook. I straightened it out, and used it to clear the passage. Restarted, and it was good to go.
Had a good couple hours playing on the lake with the kids.

scn

I was told by a gentleman with a lot more boat time than me that the "pee hole" on the motor is also called a "tell-tell". Basically, it is a visual that your cooling system is working. However, it is not where the majority of the cooling water is exiting the motor. That happens down in the foot.

In coastal waters, it is pretty common to to suck up some sand/mud/shell particles that can block the tell-tell. I was told that as long as the motor is not running hot where the overheated engine buzzer goes off, that it isn't a major deal if the tell-tell is blocked. My buddy will continue to fish with that going on, and will clean out the tell-tell back at the ramp.

I haven't run that by a boat mechanic, but the person that told me is VERY knowledgeable about boats and motors.

Tenntrapper

I was told by a gentleman with a lot more boat time than me that the "pee hole" on the motor is also called a "tell-tell". Basically, it is a visual that your cooling system is working. However, it is not where the majority of the cooling water is exiting the motor. That happens down in the foot.

In coastal waters, it is pretty common to to suck up some sand/mud/shell particles that can block the tell-tell. I was told that as long as the motor is not running hot where the overheated engine buzzer goes off, that it isn't a major deal if the tell-tell is blocked. My buddy will continue to fish with that going on, and will clean out the tell-tell back at the ramp.

I haven't run that by a boat mechanic, but the person that told me is VERY knowledgeable about boats and motors.
This makes sense. The f25 has a water hose connector on the side...I think it for flushing the motor. When I first started it, and seen it wasn't peeing, I shut it off. I disconnected the hose thing(opened it up) and started it again. It had water flowing through it, that's how I new it was a clogged pee hole, and not a bad impeller.

Something else most don't know... outboard motors have a thermostat, like your car. They can get stuck...just like in a car.

Pilchard

This is correct although I've heard it as tell-tale.

The motor is still cooling even if it is blocked.

It's apparent when you compare the pressure of the water coming out when the muffs are on vs when the boat is in the water.

Also, if you think the lack of water is due to blockage, sometimes jumping on plane will increase the pressure enough to clear the blockage.

brassmagnet

I keep a piece of weed eater string about 2 feet long tied to an old plug in the pee hole on mine, it's fluorescent line so I don't miss it. It also reminds me to put the plug in. Laugh all you want, you'll get old if you're lucky.