Specks

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
What's your goto recipe for specks?
Got another hunt coming up in February and I'm gonna bring a couple home to cook this year.

I have always heard they are good but never had any.

OH and I ain't Gordon Ramsey or Alton Brown, need something simple.
🤣

TAFKAP

What's your goto recipe for specks?
Got another hunt coming up in February and I'm gonna bring a couple home to cook this year.

I have always heard they are good but never had any.

OH and I ain't Gordon Ramsey or Alton Brown, need something simple.
🤣

Only ever cooked one, and it was fantastic. Plucked, scalded, and waxed. Skin as clean as a baby's butt.

Salt & pepper over night all over the thing like you're roasting a chicken. The next night, cut some orange wedges and an onion, and packed it in the cavity. Roasted in a 350° oven until the breasts hit 120°. Pulled it out and rested for about 20 mins. Carved the breasts off.

Pop the breast-less carcass back in the oven to finish cooking. While it's cooking, warm a skillet on medium heat, and sear the breasts skin-side down until the skin is crispy. Flip and sear the backside for a minute.

Let it all rest, then butcher the legs & thighs. Slice the crispy skin breast and serve. Save all the fat & drippings for a dipping sauce.

hootywho

Deboned and stuffed with cornbread dressing. Once deboned and stuffed, it's about the size of a Nerf football. Brown in a Magnalite and then roast in oven on an elevated wrack above drip/catch pan containing a beer of your choice. Be mindful of internal temps. Slice and enjoy.

Latest posts