Speaking Of Minor League Baseball...

UCStandSitter

I get the "Trash Pandas" part.....when did they become the "Rocket City"?
If you haven't made a trip to Huntsville to check out the space and rocket center, I highly recommend it. Lots of cool stuff to take in. That said, some of the surrounding areas have become a lil sketch in recent years. Pick a hotel out of town.

UCStandSitter

I've never been to Huntsville. We'll have to make the trip down there sometime. I geek out on the Air & Space museums. Thanks for the info.
Same. It isn't Smithsonian Air & Space but, it's pretty legit. Have some early Saturn program rockets on display which is really cool. Last time we went was about 5 yrs ago on the way down to the beach. Just a quick overnight in Hville. Whole fam really enjoyed it. I'd been a couple times as a kid previous to that and it had expanded considerably since the 80s. Like I said though, make sure you stay outside the city. We stayed at an HI near space and rocket, a car was stolen overnight in the hotel parking lot and some sort of shooting in the same parking lot the next morning. I was pretty surprised since it seemed to be more of a "corporate" area.

Specializedjon

Same. It isn't Smithsonian Air & Space but, it's pretty legit. Have some early Saturn program rockets on display which is really cool. Last time we went was about 5 yrs ago on the way down to the beach. Just a quick overnight in Hville. Whole fam really enjoyed it. I'd been a couple times as a kid previous to that and it had expanded considerably since the 80s. Like I said though, make sure you stay outside the city. We stayed at an HI near space and rocket, a car was stolen overnight in the hotel parking lot and some sort of shooting in the same parking lot the next morning. I was pretty surprised since it seemed to be more of a "corporate" area.
Thank you sir. Appreciate the heads-up. My wife's pretty good and sniffin out sketchy places, but she know I'm always packin so we've made exceptions at times. She sleeps like a baby....I'm up all night "on duty" 😂 We stayed at one of those Extended Stays once....ONCE! She thought it would be nice to have a kitchenette, etc. cause of the kids. Drunk A-holes running up and down the hallways all night. I almost lost my 💩. Never again. I'll pay the extra money and drive a little farther to have a room that doesn't smell like smoke and piss.

UCStandSitter

Thank you sir. Appreciate the heads-up. My wife's pretty good and sniffin out sketchy places, but she know I'm always packin so we've made exceptions at times. She sleeps like a baby....I'm up all night "on duty" 😂 We stayed at one of those Extended Stays once....ONCE! She thought it would be nice to have a kitchenette, etc. cause of the kids. Drunk A-holes running up and down the hallways all night. I almost lost my 💩. Never again. I'll pay the extra money and drive a little farther to have a room that doesn't smell like smoke and piss.
Same. Convenience will never again be traded for peace of mind with my fam. Sound sleep is worth mild inconvenience.

BMan

There is no SR-71 at Huntsville. The aircraft they have is an A-12, which was slightly shorter, significantly lighter, and flew faster and higher than the SR-71. The AF developed the SR-71 from the A-12.

BMan

UC, if you enjoyed the Air&Space and Huntsville, have you been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH? Ton of stuff in there, including BocksCar - they didn't have it when I went there 30 years ago (wow - I'm old). If you went to Udvar-Hazy and saw the Enola Gay, BocksCar completes the set.

Last edited:

UCStandSitter

UC, if you enjoyed the Air&Space and Huntsville, have you been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH? Ton of stuff in there, including BocksCar - they didn't have it when I went there 30 years ago (wow - I'm old). If you went to Udvar-Hazy and saw the Enola Gay, BocksCar completes the set.
I haven't. Was actually talking with the wife the other day about a trip to Kings Island this summer with the girls.. Might be a fun detour. Always been fascinated with planes. Good advice! Thanks holmes