Speaking of ice

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Does anyone remember when you could buy ice and you had your choice of cubes or one big block?

My friends parents would take me to LBL camping, this was when Piney only had one loop.
All the roads were gravel.
He would drop us off on the bank of the lake where the non-electric sites would be years later.
Pup tent, firewood and a cooler with our drinks in it and one big chunk of ice.
It would last us all weekend.

volboy

I still remember remember the Ice house in Daytona back in the 70s when we would go every July to the races. We would camp a week. After we would get there one of the first stops would go to the ice house and get a block of Ice for out green metal Coleman coolers

Dbllunger

Havent thought about it in a very long time but I do remember as a kid on the gulf coast of MS going with my dad to the ice house to get ice for shrimp and whatnot and seeing those big blocks and men with a pair of tongs carrying them around. I suppose you can't get ice like that anymore.

slabhead

Yep we had an ice house in town that sold blocks when I was a kid. Dad had a panel van that he made into a camper and installed an ice box fridge in it. we'd buy the big block of ice and use it when we went on trips. I don't really remember how well it worked but must have been ok.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Yep we had an ice house in town that sold blocks when I was a kid. Dad had a panel van that he made into a camper and installed an ice box fridge in it. we'd buy the big block of ice and use it when we went on trips. I don't really remember how well it worked but must have been ok.
We had an ice house in Fulton but it was closed before I was old enough to remember it.

mike243

My Aunt and Uncle had a gas station and bait shop in smithville when I was growing up and they had a ice house, had a shredder they would drop it in if you didn't want a block, picked the ice up in Nashville

agelessssone

I have an upright freezer dedicated to making big ice chunks.
I bought several big bowls/pans at yard sales that I use for ice making.
Then, when I'm ready to go fishing, pull out a couple, put them under the faucet for a few seconds ice pops out. Put the ice in the cooler, refill bowl, back in the freezer.
I'm often out of the driveway at 4AM so there is no convenient places to get ice.
Plus, my chunks will last a few days in my cooler.

moondawg

I remember going camping and rafting at the Spring River in Arkansas. They had blocks of ice at their camp store. I got a block of ice for the beer cooler Friday afternoon. I still had a good chunk of it left when I got home Sunday afternoon. If you have the room in your cooler, a block of ice is the way to go.

Latest posts