Speaking of Bonnie

Omega

They sure are getting expensive, I usually get some plants from a local guy that got them from the Amish, but found out he closed down. I start most of my plants from seeds but that freaking cold snap got my schedule all messed up. I would only get a few each year to fill in the spots where my seedlings didn't make it. Years ago before I found the local guy, I used to only use Bonnie plants but they came in a 6-pack for only a few bucks, now they mostly stock singles at around $5-$6, that would make for an expensive garden. I guess I will have to see where the Amish grower was located so I can buy direct.

Even seeds have gone up, and have now started labeling them "organic", how the heck can a seed be non-organic unless GMO is involved. I may just start ordering some online, at least with heirloom I can understand the expense a little.

Omega

If you have a local Farmers Market, you might want to check there. Sometimes they have Starter Plants for sale.
Yea, that was what the local guy had, sort of, though he also sold cement lawn ornaments. I just have to look for another one I suppose. I really liked the Amish supplied starter plants, never had one not make it, except once when a late freeze followed by a drought killed my entire garden, twice.

Chapman

Bonnie Plants are too expensive for me. Luckily, my local nursery has them much cheaper. The old days of a 6 pack of tomatoes for 99 cents are gone.

backyardtndeer

Local nursery is who we have used for years, they grow their own. Their prices have gone up significantly the past couple years as well. My wife wants me to build a greenhouse, and I probably will before next spring, if I can find some steel priced right.

agelessssone

Local nursery is who we have used for years, they grow their own. Their prices have gone up significantly the past couple years as well. My wife wants me to build a greenhouse, and I probably will before next spring, if I can find some steel priced right.
You can find steel priced right
.....right through the roof!!!
3' of 2x2x1/4" angle iron....$36.00 at Metals Supermarket last week.

DoubleRidge

Locally this year Bonnie plants were 5.98 each...not a 4 pack or 6 pack...single pot.
We bought one cherry tomatoe plant for that ridiculous price then drove out to smaller privately owned greenhouse and bought our other tomatoe plants much cheaper....crook neck squash, butternut squash, zucchini and okra we just started from seed...we're late getting everything out but we're not paying 5.98 per plant.

WilcoKen

Bonnie Plants are too expensive for me. Luckily, my local nursery has them much cheaper. The old days of a 6 pack of tomatoes for 99 cents are gone.
Yes! I always buy the $1.25 plants at Co-op but last year waited too long. So I bought Bonnies fir 5.99 at big box. They really didn't do that good. I got the cheap Co-op ones again this year and they are a lot better.

DaveB

Way back in the middle 1980's I did a test of buying potted plants vs. from scratch seeds.

So I put seeds in the ground. Went to nursery bought same plants, not same variety but very close.

Also put seeds into pots and then transplanted.

There was absolutely no comparison. Seeds in the ground outperformed all competitors.

The thing is roots. They are tender. They like to grow in certain ways and POTS have borders. They may straighten out but then its October. If you have any kind of chance, seeds in the ground. Next is Your Own container-sprouted grown from seed plants in the ground right after second set of leaves.

As a classic example, go to any nursery and look at Celosia in containers.

Buy a 6-pack and try to transplant. Celosia have a taproot that is VERY fragile.

Buy a pack of seeds and plant your own. Dig the soil deep....say 8 inches. Like you were planting carrots.

The flower will be in 12-18 inch range for your seeds. The potted ones will be maybe 2-4 inches.

When the seed Celosia is in full bloom cut the bloom with about 6" of stalk and hang upside down in dry place. I used my Attic. They are beautiful in dried flower arrangements.