South Alabama Hunt

gatodoc

Got to hunt South AL this past weekend. Rut was just getting started. Got a doe, but didn't see any of the good bucks we have on camera. Saw several scrapes get started between Thur and Mon.

Friend on a lease a mile away killed a nice buck following a doe. It amazes me how the rut is so late down there.

Went by the local processor and he had 2 to 1 does to bucks and all the bucks I saw there were youngish. Figure the next 2 weeks will be interesting.

gatodoc

Troy should be on a similar rut schedule. I was hunting in Clarke Co. just outside of Thomasville. I'd say from now until the season closes on Feb 10th, the hunting should be very good.

I'm planning on going back next week if I can and then spending the last week of the season down there...

So much fun to actually see deer after the dirth of sightings I have in East TN after the middle of Dec.

darn2ten

Deer Assassin":apcj6u9b said:
Buddy of mine owns 600 near Troy I am taking him up on hunting down there
Lots of deer around Troy, or at least there use to be. Been about 6 or 7 years since I've been around down there.

Tenn Aubie

darn2ten":1yqv9ed0 said:
Deer Assassin":1yqv9ed0 said:
Buddy of mine owns 600 near Troy I am taking him up on hunting down there
Lots of deer around Troy, or at least there use to be. Been about 6 or 7 years since I've been around down there.
There still there.And some good ones too

megalomaniac

gz on the doe. I'm only 1.5h from Mobile. Our peak conception dates are Jan 16-29th according to MDWFP. That being said, I think the peak activity is usually a tad earlier. This year I observed most rutting activity from Jan 1- 9th. Since the 9th, scrapes have gone dead, and bucks have only been seen on camera at night. We should catch a decent 2nd rut, so I'm hoping it picks back up early Feb.

I love being able to chase the rut from middle TN in mid Nov, to central MS mid Dec, to south MS early January.

megalomaniac

diamond hunter":31a1gcrc said:
Does anyone know a good guide service for deer in Mississippi?

most famous places open to public in MS are Tara Wildlife (bow only) and Giles Island. Both are fairly pricey hunts. I am not aware of any decent paid/ guided hunts otherwise. There are some VERY nice unguided public land hunts available in the draw. Plus there is a paid-hunt WMA that used to be private club. It's $250 for the weekend, IIRC, and requires a draw as well (not too tough to draw); not monsters behind every tree, but there was a 150"er and a 170"er taken off it last year. Canemount is the name.

Latest posts