Sounding better

Dodge Man

5278630B-1F08-4BEE-A242-DAA77ECCE994.jpeg

JDUB

Im wondering if all those reflective markers magically disappear going to all these tier 2 blinds...

Dodge Man

Im liking that priority points aren't being completely canned in the new proposal! 👍
So they might help you get drawn 1 time in your lifetime? If 2000 people are putting in for 15 or 30 duck blind priority points don't really matter much. Especially for older people that have been putting in for 20-30 years already with no draw.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Overall I do like the revised proposal better than the old one. Not perfect by any means, but it is better, and slightly less confusing. Boat in and walk in areas are still a possibility for folks not drawn for a hunt spot. And the hunt from a pole locations are much fewer. Still, the Tier-2 and Tier-3 locations are going to be at a disadvantage decoy wise.

Levee Jumper

So they might help you get drawn 1 time in your lifetime? If 2000 people are putting in for 15 or 30 duck blind priority points don't really matter much. Especially for older people that have been putting in for 20-30 years already with no draw.
It's relative. Compared to the previous proposal I like this much more.

I agree with you in terms of supply vs. demand as well as point creep but the 10-12 guys that I hunt with that have 1, 2 or 3 priority points its good to know that we will have a leg up for the mid season draw. Thats 30 to 48 days hunting. Fairly significant to us that don't have good private blinds.

Also to the best of my knowledge it looks like in 75 - 85% of the blind locations priority points are not going to come into play.

Hawk

Just received this from a buddy at twra

I think you will like the New changes to the duck blinds.
Not all back like it was but much different than the first change.
Should be out later today.

Updated Proposal Available for Public Review as of February 19th

On February 1st, TWRA released a proposal for public feedback. After gathering this valuable information from our constituents, the agency decided to come up with a new updated proposal. The new information below outlines the updated proposal (dated February 19, 2021), which now increases access for hunters statewide and retains significantly more traditional season-long, 60-day blind locations as offered currently. In addition to the 414 season-long blinds, there will be 71 hunt locations designated for quota hunts for 3, 4, or 7-day periods at a marked location or an Agency-built blind. There are no changes proposed to privately-owned/permanent registered blinds.

Blinds per tier in new proposal v. old proposal:

Old proposal versus New Proposal

See an indepth explanation of all changes being proposed in this video presentation:

Video about new proposal
gray-hatch_original.gif

more info button

Background:

For many years Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has received public comments about how the current public land duck hunting system operates. The comments mostly fall into 2 categories: the need for increased duck hunting opportunities on public lands (i.e. more access) and concerns over the fairness of the handheld duck blind draw system. A scientific survey of duck hunters done in partnership with the University of Tennessee validated these comments, as well as other issues with in-person handheld draws, and desire for opportunities to hunt for shorter time periods.

In 2019, we made changes to make the in-person drawings more fair and equitable, with limited success. In 2020, due to COVID, all handheld duck blind drawings were computerized and online, which made the process fair and equitable for hunters across Tennessee.

For 2021, we are taking another step, by increasing the number of duck hunters who get drawn to hunt our public WMAs each season. This is an effort to increase public access for duck hunters. To increase access and retain tradition, we will continue to issue many of the current season-long permits while a few changing other sites into quota hunt locations. Quota hunts will be for 3, 4, or 7-day periods at a marked location or an Agency-built blind. Based on hunter input, these changes will meet the Agency's objective of providing increased access to public land duck hunters, increasing the fairness of the draw, and honoring the traditions of duck hunting in Tennessee.

Read more details and see maps of WMA hunt locations changed through this proposal by visiting https://www.tn.gov/twra/proposed-duck-hunting-changes.html.

If you would like to make a comment on the record about this proposal, please email the agency at [email protected] where we will keep and record all comments.

JDUB

I disagree with the tier 2 still. Is TWRA going to go spray the holes out? What if doesn't work? Those guys that drew the first 2-3 weeks gonna be real disappointed. We sprayed 3 times with wetland approved and it finally killed the pads and duck weed. Keep the boat lanes open? Brush and maintain blinds? Heck they can't maintain a parking lot much less a duck blind. Keep the markers up so these people that have never set foot on the wma's can get to blind safely?

Latest posts