Something new this year - Yard beans

Sako

I always try and plant something new every year just for fun... this year I planted Chinese yard beans.... they grow three feet long thus the name yard bean..... I picked some this morning and am going to have them for lunch for the first time... just had to post a picture of one of them.... Regular set of scissor for reference

CIMG3540.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
You will find that like most most green beans, pick them young while they're still tender.The smaller ones make great fried beans,and are excellent in a stir fry.

catman529

Cool, I tried a variety of yard long pole beans last year. I don't think I got any 3 feet long, but when they did get long (maybe 2 feet) they weren't very good IMO. I prefer the regular beans so I didn't grow them again. But still fun for something new to try, and to get funny looks from other people ;)

Sako

Keep in mind there are many types of yard beans out there.... I cooked some up this weekend and it is all dependent on when you pick them on how they turn out. I took and purposely picked beans in several different stages of development. The really big ones (bigger round) were tough... the beans that were really skinny were ok... the beans that were in the middle (I will call them healthy weight :) ) turned out really good. My wife like them better than several varieties that we have tried. They are very consistent in the texture and taste... and no strings at all... (which she likes). I went ahead after cooking some picked more and canned a few quarts of them... we will see how they do this way.