so new i am a newborn again

eireog68

OK so i am here because may son is finally of the age he can hunt and due to lack of ammo i need to start reloading and first on my list is turkey loads since its turkey season my biggest downfall is i live in new york i ordered the shot #4 and #5 coper coated lead as tss #9 shot is to pricy i think powder is going to be my hardest item to get and which one to look for is my first challenge any and all help is requested.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
OK so i am here because may son is finally of the age he can hunt and due to lack of ammo i need to start reloading and first on my list is turkey loads since its turkey season my biggest downfall is i live in new york i ordered the shot #4 and #5 coper coated lead as tss #9 shot is to pricy i think powder is going to be my hardest item to get and which one to look for is my first challenge any and all help is requested.
But think of the profit, we have a guy at work selling 10$ a piece turkey loads.

eireog68

But think of the profit, we have a guy at work selling 10$ a piece turkey loads.
right now i just need to get the supplies to get my son into the field i already have his friends asking for loads that i do not have. i am amazed at the choices of wads if i can even get them.

eireog68

All I know about them is that they are a blend of shot size that will rip your shoulder off and beat your daddy with it!
He should me a pic of the pattern at 50 yards and it was impressive.
yea my son is 12 and a small 12 at that so i need to keep his shoulder in the socket for now another reason to do my own reloads and a good excuse to build a range too. not that i needed an excuse just moved up on the todo list.

TN Song Dog

Skip reloading since you just getting started. Spend your time and $ on other things, for now.

Turkey Ammo for a Child:
Go 20ga. My advice is to look for some high brass field loads in 5 or 6 shot lead. Pattern at 20 - 30yd. That's what everyone shot turkey with for a lot of years before specialized turkey loads came on the market. Less recoil also

Just my thoughts and advice. Take it or leave it. Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:

eireog68

Skip reloading since you just getting started. Spend your time and $ on other things, for now.

Turkey Ammo for a Child:
Go 20ga. My advice is to look for some high brass field loads in 5 or 6 shot lead. Pattern at 20 - 30yd. That's what everyone shot turkey with for a lot of years before specialized turkey loads came on the market. Less recoil also

Just my thoughts and advice. Take it or leave it. Good luck, and have fun!
I already have purchased most of the reloading stuff i need the powder is the issue i have not found it so far and which is the best to use for brass coated lead shot #4 and #5 as for just getting the loads the 20 gage, they are not available here in any store or online that i could find i even have friends looking out for it as other parents are also looking for loads for there kids who are turning the hunting age around here.

TN Song Dog

Look on AmmoSeek website. Plenty of shells you can buy online, and good luck on powder search too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210506-140416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210506-140416_Chrome.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 45

Rancocas

First; welcome to this forum.
You have some options. As some others have said, I would recommend 20 ga. for a youth with #5 or #6 shot, pattern the gun, and keep all shots at turkeys within 30 yards or so. Always go for a head shot.
Actually, I put aside my modern firearms some 25 or 30 years ago and mostly use only traditional style muzzleloaders. (yes I do use a modern gun from time to time) I use a 20 ga. flintlock fowler for turkey and all small game. Mine is a replica of a fowling piece that was common in the 1740's. Real black powder, of course. (Try that if you want a real challenge)
But, you being in NY with all its restrictions probably makes it hard enough.
My cousin lives in Rome, NY and he is a hunter safety instructor there. His wife recently bagged a large tom turkey.

eireog68

yes he is using a 20 ga. the issue is the ammo finding it and then if you find it nearly all places will not ship to ny even though it is allowed the ones that do ship have no stock so i am now trying to get the supplies to reload and make my own. nothing like making things hard for legal gun owners.

Tenntrapper

yes he is using a 20 ga. the issue is the ammo finding it and then if you find it nearly all places will not ship to ny even though it is allowed the ones that do ship have no stock so i am now trying to get the supplies to reload and make my own. nothing like making things hard for legal gun owners.
Maybe reach out to @rukiddin (here on tndeer). I know he reloads a lot for shotguns. Maybe he can point you in the right direction. Worth a try.
And welcome from E.TN.

rukiddin

You can reload TSS for a lot cheaper than $10 shot. I'm a HUGE 28 gauge fan. 1oz tss 28 gauge loads can and will kill turkeys out to 60 yds. Probably further out but 60 is the farthest my 28 has killed one when I let a buddy borrow it and he and his dad went on a 3 state killing spree with it. Haha. Choked properly, a 410 is just as lethal. I've been loading tss for years and patterned enough of it to know what it's capable of. Way before it was a household name in the turkey world. With that said, I realize none of those are 20 gauge loads but the greatest thing about it is you can take a 28 gauge mild recoil tss load, and choked properly, you can hang with any 10 or 12 gauge in the turkey woods all day every day and here's the best part. Your young and/or inexperienced shooter won't subconsciously be scared to death of the gun and shoot with a flinch for the rest of his/her life.

Latest posts