Snow Days…

AT Hiker

Are some of the best days for taking pictures of your mounts.

I finally got around to mounting my 2021 MT pronghorn and my WY mule deer from 2012. Yes, you read that right, 2012. I don't ever want to hear someone complain about taking over a year to get their mount back, my taxidermist took 12 years 😂

These were all mounted within the last couple weeks. I still need to finish them, so I'll do that in a couple more years😁

The pronghorn has a slight open mouth with his teeth barely showing. Adds a nice touch without being over the top.
Also, I killed this pronghorn in the snow so when it snowed yesterday I got the idea to take some snow pics.

IMG_4764.jpeg

IMG_4765.jpeg

IMG_4761.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

gtk

Staff member
@AT Hiker , what did you do to the cape while storing ? I have an antelope thats been in my freezer for 1 yr now, and was thinking of caping and salting it, then refreezing ??

Those look good

AT Hiker

@AT Hiker , what did you do to the cape while storing ? I have an antelope thats been in my freezer for 1 yr now, and was thinking of caping and salting it, then refreezing ??

Those look good
I had them commercially tanned a while ago. The antelope was wet tanned so I just kept it in the freezer.

If you flesh, split and salt then dont freeze it. Once dry it will last for a bit but I wouldn't go over a year, especially in the South with the humidity.

The mule deer was dry tanned a while ago, those can be stored for many years in a cool dry place (not freezer). The taxidermist has to rehydrate it before measuring and proceeding to mounting but it is a good way to store capes without needing a freezer.

Hopefully that made sense.

Last edited:

gtk

Staff member
Makes sense (somewhat) :)

What about skinning it for mounting, and then just refreezing? Or Skinning and tanning it myself. I've tanned hides before, but not for mounting.

these questions may be for naught, as I checked on it after posting this quest, and someone (wife) had opened the bag it was wrapped in, and its prob starting to freezer burn.

DWB

Like everyone says a carpenters house is the last to be worked on. Those look amazing!!! Great work!!!

AT Hiker

Makes sense (somewhat) :)

What about skinning it for mounting, and then just refreezing? Or Skinning and tanning it myself. I've tanned hides before, but not for mounting.

these questions may be for naught, as I checked on it after posting this quest, and someone (wife) had opened the bag it was wrapped in, and its prob starting to freezer burn.
I wouldn't attempt to tan a pronghorn yourself. They might be the hardest animal to tan!

You could skin and put it back in the freezer raw. Wrap the face inside itself and double bag it.

My wife learned a long time ago to never look inside a bag in the freezer, unless she put it there. Our relationship has flourished since she stopped looking😂

hunter0925

Thx. Heck man, yall did good though.

As for a shoulder mount, they are beautiful and one of my favorite mounts but a pronghorn skull mount is also fantastic. Bleach white skull with those deep black sheaths....awesome contrast.
I completely agree. I'm to the point I'm not mounting much more unless it is an extremely special hunt or a monster. I do want a good mule deer and pronghorn though. I've seen good ones 3 trips in a row but haven't connected yet.

bigtex

Nice critters AT, beautiful taxi work as usual!
I've only mounted two Pronghorns [mine and my Grandsons] Hardest Mammals I ever mounted.

Latest posts