snagging shovelbills

stik

anybody do it? I have a friend/coworker that gets as excited about the snagging opener as I do about deer openers.

paincave_2000

Many years ago, it was exciting, boring and fun all rolled in to one.Exciting the night before, boring while doing it but fun if/when you hooked one.I have never had a deeper nights sleep than after a long day of snagging, and be sore in places you never knew could hurt the next day.

Hollar Hunter

I've only been a handful of times. Like stated above its a heck of a workout. It's different but I still found it fun especially if you do hook one... Great eating to

2711.jpg
[/url][/img]

scn

Just an FYI, but we have had a problem over the years with the illegal sale of paddlefish roe from sport caught fish. We have made a few cases. I suspect that snaggers may see some illegal roe dealers around some of these areas, including some Russians from out of state. Our paddlefish roe is a big deal in the national marketplace.

A reminder that it is illegal to buy or sell any fish or turtle, or parts thereof, taken on a sport fishing license. Both the fisherman and the dealer are part of the violation.

stik

scn said:
Just an FYI, but we have had a problem over the years with the illegal sale of paddlefish roe from sport caught fish. We have made a few cases. I suspect that snaggers may see some illegal roe dealers around some of these areas, including some Russians from out of state. Our paddlefish roe is a big deal in the national marketplace.

A reminder that it is illegal to buy or sell any fish or turtle, or parts thereof, taken on a sport fishing license. Both the fisherman and the dealer are part of the violation.

good to know.

scn

pressfit said:
where is snagging legal? i know it was stopped on the tennessee river in alabammy.. is it legal in TN?

With perhaps an exception or two, snagging for rough fish is legal statewide. There are restrictions on how close to dams you can snag, and there is a season on paddlefish, and some reservoir specific regs on them as well. All sturgeon must be released.

The details are in the Fishing Guide.

shorefisherman

i have seen huge spoonbills on the caney accidently when they turned the generators off all the sudden after a heavy generation, they use their paddle to stomp the river bottom to feed. they head up river to spawn this time of year and dams make them easy targets to snag, that's why the season is so short. like scn said there are restrictions below dams.
but if you know the river bottom you can concentrate on a certain area,i have never went after them but i would use very hevy gear or rope. some use attractant formula to attract them

Latest posts