SNACK STICKS

Forvols

Made 16lbs of snack sticks when first stuffed. After smoking ended up with 12.5lbs of sticks. This was using 90-10beef and LEM pepperoni and hot seasoning packs. The hot has some heat but is not hot. Pepperoni was spot on, both very good. Smoked with hickory and apple wood. Took about 11hrs in the smoker to get to internal temp of 155degrees. Then into a ice water bath to stop the cooking. These turned out really well.

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 833
  • snacksticks2.jpg
    snacksticks2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 832
  • snacksticks.jpg
    snacksticks.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 833

Daniel90

I've always wonder do these taste like summer sausage or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forvols

Daniel90":nj59t9tc said:
I've always wonder do these taste like summer sausage or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not like summer sausage. I make SS also these are leaner and texture different. But I never tried making snack stick in summer sausage flavor. Think of slim jims or jack links with out all the fat and grease or fillers. Meat, seasoning, cure, water and any extra spice you may want to add or add more of. I wished I would have added some red pepper flakes to the "hot" flavored ones and kicked up the heat some. These are 90-10 beef. Snack sticks I like to keep the fat to no more than 15% on summer sausage I usually do 20-35% fat. Smoking process is the same for both.

Forvols

BamaProud":2qtw3q4l said:
Looks great.

How do you store them and how long do they last?

These I vac seal in 8oz portion then freeze. Once opened I keep in the fridge with bag top open. Closing the bag completely will trap moisture and cause mold. On the counter after opening probably 4days, but usually they dont sit around that long. They have insta cure #1 (pink salt or sodium nitrite or Prague Powder #1 - all the same just different name) as a preservative. But that does not stop mold growth. I have read you can dunk or spray finished jerky, snack sticks etc with potassium sorbate and let dry before storing and that will stop mold. I have never tried It. I just vac seal and into the freezer, once opened it gets eaten pretty quickly. I have never had any mold issues

Latest posts