Snack Sticks?

Appalachian American

I plan to make and smoke some 17mm snack sticks this weekend. Two questions, what ratio of fat (I'm using fatty beef bacon) do you typically use? Also, I know with regular cooking methods leaving any silverskin or other gristle is not a good idea... how much can I get away with when grinding for snack sticks? Those shoulders are pretty rough!

Thanks for the help!
AA

Omega

Good question, typically for sausage and snack sticks I use 30% fat to meat ratios. Actually more like 33% as I like whole numbers, so 5lbs to 10lbs of venison. As to the silverskin part, I had the same question when I started processing my last one. I typically take off as much as possible, but I spend way too much time on that and now that I have a better grinder, with multiple plates I was thinking I could get away with maybe a little more. Specially when I view sausage makers on youtube, they throw a bunch in the grinder. Here is what I leave currently, as you can see it's not all gone.
P8bCy8W.jpg

DaveB

Yep, the grind plates catch what appears to me to be nearly all the silver skin.

Downside is you have to change the plates fairly often....say every batch.

I decided to not trim any silver skin. I had to change the coarse plate about 4 times for 20 pounds of grind.

Find your middle ground. I bought 3 new plate sets and may get more.

Latest posts