Smallmouth at Glen Springs?

moondawg

Anyone know if there are smallmouth bass in Glenn Springs lake?

Mossyhorns300, I know you're familiar with the lake...do you know?

Reason I ask: My brother said he fished there Saturday and said he caught one. I asked if he was sure, and he said it was either a smallmouth bass or a very small largemouth. I told him that I've never heard of smallmouths in Glenn Springs, and that it was probably a small largemouth. But I wasn't there to see the color/shape/size, so I don't know.

4onaside

I have never heard of a smallmouth being present in any west tenn lake,the Tennessee river/Kentucky Lake/Pickwick being excepted, other than at Graham in Jackson. Intitially there were some stocked there, and I've seen a picture of one in the office at the lake, clearly a brown bass. However, I have not heard of one being caught in years, at Graham, or ever from any other West Tn waters. I assume that they thought Graham was deep enough to be cool enough(39 feet at the dam).

mossyhorns300

moondawg said:

Reason I ask: My brother said he fished there Saturday and said he caught one. I asked if he was sure, and he said it was either a smallmouth bass or a very small largemouth. I told him that I've never heard of smallmouths in Glenn Springs, and that it was probably a small largemouth. But I wasn't there to see the color/shape/size, so I don't know.

None, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if somebody brought some back from Pickwick and released em. A lot of times those fish will get a real dark color at Glenn Springs from getting up so shallow in that thick grass.

4onaside

mossyhorns300 said:
moondawg said:

None, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if somebody brought some back from Pickwick and released em. A lot of times those fish will get a real dark color at Glenn Springs from getting up so shallow in that thick grass.
On the "bringing them back and releasing them" deal, I caught a 17"sauger in the TWRA 83 acre Davy Crockett lake at Humboldt, and a guy told my son that he had caught "two or three" there. Since I would assume that the state is not in the practice of stocking such a lake with sauger, I assume that these were Tennessee River fish that someone had in their live well.

drrxnupe

I had never even seen a live smallie until I moved to Nashville. I seriously doubt a smallie was caught at Glenn Springs lake...but of course strange things do happen. I'm not saying it ain't possible.

moondawg

I told him what ya'll said. He said it had to be a really small largemouth. I told him that's what you get for not inviting me! :D

Latest posts