Small camper

Acorn Goat

I have a 2018 Tacoma v6 and I've read where I can tow up to a 6,000 lb camper. Just curious if any of y'all ever pulled a camper with a smaller truck. The camper I've found is 4,000lbs. Wasn't wanting to get another truck just to pull a camper

Omega

I have a 2018 Tacoma v6 and I've read where I can tow up to a 6,000 lb camper. Just curious if any of y'all ever pulled a camper with a smaller truck. The camper I've found is 4,000lbs. Wasn't wanting to get another truck just to pull a camper
I have but that was before gas got to where it is now, I got 8 MPG in my 2010 Tacoma when I pulled my 17' hybrid travel trailer to Texas to hog hunt. Don't recall the weight, but it is heavy, and I also pull my 10' trailer with a small tractor on it easily, have also loaded up some hay bales which were extremely heavy, much heavier than my tractor, made my trailer sway bad.

Omega

Cool thanks for the info I would imagine pulling wouldn't be as big of an issue as stopping
Yea a little bit, just don't follow too close to anyone, and keep an eye on traffic conditions way up front. Also, maintaining your lane when big trucks zoom by, they give you a little push. And a sway bar is a must, the trailer is heavy enough to take you where it wants to go, so it will wag the dog.

skipperbrown

4,000 bare? You need to consider what it will weigh when loaded up with water (8#/gal), food, cooking utensils, plates, flatware, clothes, ammo, lawn chairs, picnic table, grill, firewood, propane, cleaners, coolers, tools, rugs, coffee makers, toaster, boots, and a lot of other stuff that is going to make its way into the camper.

Also consider that most campers are a like a big sail behind your vehicle and are easily affected by crosswinds and semis blowing by you as you merge into traffic. You will want/need a weight distribution hitch and sway bar so include that into your budget.

Finally, just because your truck is rated for 6000, doesn't mean it will be comfortable hauling 6000. The F150 "properly equipped" is rated to tow like 25,000# but no one in their right mind is going to regularly tow that kind of weight behind a 1/2 ton pickup. Oh, you need to figure a 4000# trailer should have 400-500# of tongue weight for safe towing. What is that #400/600 pounds going to do to your allowed payload? With the wife and kids and #400/600 hanging off the rear, you are probably already over GVWR sitting in the driveway.

That said, you have a good truck for towing. Just make sure you do your homework and don't believe anything the salesman tells you without verifying it. They want to make a sale, they will happily sell you a #6000 dry weight camper for your #6000 rated truck knowing darn well that you won't be safe towing it.

SALTMAN

What Gravey said , you can't believe Anything Ford says about ordering a truck . Dealers are stuck with repeating what they are told . My future Bronco has been "built " on two different days , two weeks apart ? Last " built " day shown was on a Saturday during the strike .
I bought a 35 ft camper 3 yrs ago , dealer said no problem pulling with my F150 . Nightmare trip back from east Tn in rainstorm was the last time I pulled it . Moved to F250 and fifthwheeler . Major difference . Find a good used low mileage if you can .

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have spent a lifetime driving trucks (from an Isuzu pup up thru heavy hauler semi trucks) and pulling trailers from 5x8 up to 53 ft. I have been tongue heavy, tail heavy, top heavy and way too damn heavy more often than I can remember. Trailers with and without brakes, open and enclosed in all weather and road conditions. I guess that's why I always find these conversations entertaining! 😜

I guess God looks out for us fools! 🙏

Remington700

Lots of good info so far. I pull horse trailers all over the country. My 2500 Duramax doesn't know it has a load. I do t know that I will ever go back to a small truck.

mike243

I think he threw that out as just a reference not a real weight, my 11 F150 4x4 4 door with 5.0 coyote motor with 355 gears is rated to pull 7700lbs, my 26' is 5250 dry

Laserman1

So were you really going to get a camper or just wanted a new truck and had to convince the wife with the towing weight thing? I showed my wife how unsafe my 2wd Honda was and how I could be stuck in mud hunting all by myself and she said I needed to get a 4wd atv.

Swampster

My Tacoma pulls my camper just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2645 (1).JPG
    IMG_2645 (1).JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 12

kckndrgn

What's your payload capacity? When I got our camper and pulled with my Tundra, I found that it was the payload of the truck that was quickly exceeded. Payload is you, passengers, gear and the tongue weight of the camper.

Latest posts