Slam complete !

Bgoodman30

16C1DCA4-4E89-4A83-92DF-F1F580F0D6A7.jpeg
F54157F3-758D-4AB2-B9B3-790E2E7B3377.jpeg

Couldn't ask for sweeter way to finish of my slam than a public land double on opening morning. Put in the work and burned up the boot leather and bicycles searching for gobbler sign. Found the fresh gobbler tracks headed towards the cypress swamp in the wet sand late Friday afternoon and sure enough they gobbled before fly up at 7:20 Friday evening. Put them on the ground at 7:45am the next morning with Florida man squawking on the other side of em. Felt good being the first birds checked in this morning!

Also got to spend some time with the turkey legend Doc Weddle in camp. OTW back to TN!

megalomaniac

Congrats!

I really loved hunting Florida for the 1st time last year, will def be back (if I get drawn for LE units) Prob never again on open public, just not worth the trip for that much pressure on so few birds to miss early MS hunting.

Bgoodman30

Congrats!

I really loved hunting Florida for the 1st time last year, will def be back (if I get drawn for LE units) Prob never again on open public, just not worth the trip for that much pressure on so few birds to miss early MS hunting.

You ain't kidding… We had Florida man walk in us not 2 mins after we pulled the trigger buddy and I barely had time to celebrate… He said "I had those birds roosted!" Oh yeah so did I…. He was closer to them and another hunter behind us. I got them by playing with their emotions while he was over there yawt,yawt, yawt,yawt,yawt on the glass. 4 cuts and 3 yelps is all it took…

Bgoodman30

Forgot to say my bird was only 15lbs with 8.5 " beard 1 1/4" spurs. 2nd bird 17 lbs 1 1/8 spurs with 9.5 " beard. Swamp birds are smaller..

My last 2 hunts I have killed a bird with 1 1/4 spurs. Get lucky sometimes I guess.. lol

There was also a third gobbler coming behind them that we heard but I didn't see my buddy thought I missed when he saw that one run off...

megalomaniac

Forgot to say my bird was only 15lbs with 8.5 " beard 1 1/4" spurs. 2nd bird 17 lbs 1 1/8 spurs with 9.5 " beard. Swamp birds are smaller..

My last 2 hunts I have killed a bird with 1 1/4 spurs. Get lucky sometimes I guess.. lol

There was also a third gobbler coming behind them that we heard but I didn't see my buddy thought I missed when he saw that one run off...
I just couldn't believe how tiny those birds are until I hunted them last year! Mine was the smallest adult bird I've ever killed... 15lbs. The males do seem more graceful while moving about than other turkeys.

Bgoodman30

I just couldn't believe how tiny those birds are until I hunted them last year! Mine was the smallest adult bird I've ever killed... 15lbs. The males do seem more graceful while moving about than other turkeys.
Yeah I didn't either. They best scoring turkey I killed was 15 lbs as well.

Latest posts