sighting in problems

Tuckbass

acceptable group for muzzleloader at 100 yards?

seems like at the range the first shot is where its supposed to be, 2nd and 3rd are close, then I'll clean the bore and breech plug and shoot 3 more and the last 3 are spread out 6" or more randomly.

using a sled at the range.

I shoot my .270 also in between and can make 3 holes touch at 100 yards so I don't believe it to be shooting form?

50/50 pyrodex 100 grains
245 gr powerbelts
winchester triple 7 #209 primers

Traditions LDR .50 cal

Ideas??

MUP

Oh, as far as an acceptable group for a ML. I used to shoot open sights, and could touch bullet holes @50 yds, but that was a loooong time ago, back when my eyes worked right. ;) Still, with the scope on now, I expect to shoot close to MOA with my first 3 shots.

backyardtndeer

Acceptable group depends on how far you intend to shoot. A 6 inch group for me at 100 would simply not be acceptable since I will and have shot out to 180. I don't think you have a powder issue. If not for cleaning it might sounds like an issue with buildup in the barrel. What are you cleaning with? Could be a scope issue or loose mounts.

FrontierGander

use an 1/8" drill bit and clean your breech plugs flash channel the proper way.

Just spin it with your fingers. If you've never done the drill bit thing before, its most likely going to be a booger to clean out as the carbon is very hard to cut through once it starts to build up. You can soak it in hot water or use a strong solvent and then use the drill bit to help make it a little easier. I suggest doing it dry just so you can see how much carbon is in there.
bp_diagram.jpg

Tuckbass

Thanks again guys. I spoke with traditions and they said the same thing. They said if i use 100 grains of blackhorn 209 with the CCI 209 m primer I'll be shooting a clover leaf at 100 yards no problem, and I should be able to shoot out to 250+ yards.

Sounds good to me! looks like i'm gonna be measuring my loads.

GMB54

Tuckbass":w8wpm95v said:
Thanks again guys. I spoke with traditions and they said the same thing. They said if i use 100 grains of blackhorn 209 with the CCI 209 m primer I'll be shooting a clover leaf at 100 yards no problem, and I should be able to shoot out to 250+ yards.

Sounds good to me! looks like i'm gonna be measuring my loads.

What bullet do you plan to shoot at 250+ yards? I sure hope it is not a 245gr Powerbelt. The drop and wind drift will be terrible.

Tuckbass

I don't plan on shooting anything with this muzzle loader unless i practice it first. Having said that, the tech at Traditions arms said that if I shoot the 250 grain Traditions smackdown with 120 grains of the blackhorn and cci 209m primer i would be able to take big game animals out past 250 yards accounting for drop (hold over). said like a rifle to sight in at 2" high at 100 yards.

GMB54

A Smackdown bullet is just a rebranded Hornady SST. The 250gr@2100fps 3" high at 100 yards will be close to 4" low at 200 yards. The sabot used for the Smackdown is probably the same 3 petal EZ load sabot that Hornady uses also.

Latest posts