sight in Question?

cecil30-30

I am going to sight my new scope in that i put on my muzzleloader this weekend and was wondering if you are supposed to swab the barrel after every shot when sighting in a scope on a muzzleloader.Do you also think that 100 grs of powder would be enough for 300 gr bullet?

smokin

When I shoot for accuracy I swap between every shot. What kind of powder are you shooting? I shoot T-7 and start out with 70 grns,when I get it hitting where I want I up the powder in 5 grn increments until the groups start opening up. then I reduce my load by 5 grns. The 300 grn bullet will probably shoot with a lighter powder load. Let me know how it comes out.

Kevin B.

For me Cecil30-30, I have found that if I follow a consistent routine of using one wet patch (rubbing alcohol) followed by one dry patch after each shot, it tightens groups. Now that's just my opinion. Keeps the bore more consistent shot after shot.
Second question, 100 grains of triple seven or pyrodex or Goex black powder and 300 grain bullets have worked quite well for me. I for one think that 300 grain bullets stabilize better out of modern inlines w/ their 1/28 twist. Hope this helps. Kevin

iowavf

I would think that load should do it, as long as you know where your gun is shooting. Your going to find that everyone has differant opinions when it comes to pellets verses powder and what size of bullet is best. Find something that works and practice. I use pellets instead of loose and shoot powerbelts and I don't clean my gun between shots. I have it sighted in with a dirty barrel for hunting conditions and not target shooting. There's enough differance between shooting my encore with a clean barrel verses a dirty barrel that a good kill shot is out of the question.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
VOLDEERHUNTER31 said:
would yall suggest 777 pellets and a 100 grains for a 250 grain bullet to kill one at 200 or do i need more?
You might be able to shoot good 200 yard groups with only 100grain of powder.If you are shooting one of the new MAG guns that will safely shoot 150 grains of powder it will give ALOT more KNOCK DOWN power at the longer range.