Should be good for deer season...

Tenntrapper

I finished loading these the other day. Should get me through several seasons...
6.5-284 Norma
Peterson brass
Norma 143g Bondstrike
VV N165 powder
IMG_20221104_113624__01.jpg

Tenntrapper

Good looking pills,
What kinda velocity you getting with N165?
Honestly, no idea. I don't have a Chrono. Don't really know why either, other than...it is what it is. I'm sure it's not as fast as using rl26 though. I started hitting pressure at 52.8g, (ejector marks and heavy bolt lift). Backed up to 52.5 and all was good. Put 3 into .394", and decided that was good enough for me. (I'm not hard to please)
Going to stretch it out to 200 later this evening. Hopefully everything will go as it should. I have a self imposed limit of 250 yards shooting at deer. If everything looks good at 200, I'll be happy.

ADR

First off, I have a chronograph if you would like to borrow it.
Second, that round is begging to be shot further than 200-250 yards. Maybe not at live targets at first but I will promise you a good load in this cartridge is effective much further.

If you do want to stretch it out, knowing velocity really helps in initial dialing.

What kind of rifle/scope setup do you have?

Tenntrapper

First off, I have a chronograph if you would like to borrow it.
Second, that round is begging to be shot further than 200-250 yards. Maybe not at live targets at first but I will promise you a good load in this cartridge is effective much further.

If you do want to stretch it out, knowing velocity really helps in initial dialing.

What kind of rifle/scope setup do you have?
Thank you, and I am aware that it is capable of much further distance. That's just my limit for "live targets". I would love to try it further at paper...just never was a distance shooter.
The rifle is just a stock savage 110. It was a pkg gun...think it came with a vortex scope. I replaced it with a Nikon monarch 3 that I have, 2.5-10x42.
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but I didn't buy the gun to become a long range hunter...I bought it just to try something different. I've had...Grendel's, creedmoors, 260 rems, and several swedes. This is just another 6.5 I had been wanting to try. I really like this round so far. I appreciate it's potential...if that makes sense.
Again...none of this is meant to sound smart a$$. I truly appreciate your input, and stretching it out to further distances sounds fun.. Maybe it's something we can do sometime.
Thanks again for the input.

ADR

Thank you, and I am aware that it is capable of much further distance. That's just my limit for "live targets". I would love to try it further at paper...just never was a distance shooter.
The rifle is just a stock savage 110. It was a pkg gun...think it came with a vortex scope. I replaced it with a Nikon monarch 3 that I have, 2.5-10x42.
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but I didn't buy the gun to become a long range hunter...I bought it just to try something different. I've had...Grendel's, creedmoors, 260 rems, and several swedes. This is just another 6.5 I had been wanting to try. I really like this round so far. I appreciate it's potential...if that makes sense.
Again...none of this is meant to sound smart a$$. I truly appreciate your input, and stretching it out to further distances sounds fun.. Maybe it's something we can do sometime.
Thanks again for the input.
Didn't take that for smart aleck at all. I totally understand limiting your range to what you are comfortable with. I was the same way when I initially got my 6.5-284. I started shooting paper at longer ranges and that really boosted my confidence. Now I regularly shoot deer at 400+ yards. Let me know if you ever want to stretch it out

Tenntrapper

Didn't take that for smart aleck at all. I totally understand limiting your range to what you are comfortable with. I was the same way when I initially got my 6.5-284. I started shooting paper at longer ranges and that really boosted my confidence. Now I regularly shoot deer at 400+ yards. Let me know if you ever want to stretch it out
Again, I appreciate the offer. May take you up on it sometime.
As to the N165. Here is my opinion...so far, as this powder is new to me.
First, it is very clean. With rl26, I was getting a lot of smoke, soot, etc. With the N165...no smoke, very little soot. The N165 is a much cooler powder...should help with barrel life. Big difference in how fast the barrel heated up.
Data says the rl26 will give faster speeds than N165, but I can't say for sure either way...again, no Chrono. As for accuracy...for me, it's much better with the N165. Your results may differ. Then there is temp sensitivity.... Everyone agrees, 26 is bad for it. VV claims temp insensitivity for the 165. It will be mid 70s here today...we shall see!!

Latest posts