Shotgun shell question

Bone Collector

I got a box full of shotgun shells from my father in law (about 200) and they appear to be from between the late 70's and Early 90's. They are plastic shells mostly mostly Remington Express and a few High Brass Federal and Winchester.

Are they OK to use? Are they still good?

cecil30-30

I'd say so,as long as the brass part where the primer is isn't coroded up..We have some old Paper 12 and 20ga shells that we shot a little while back,some went BOOM and some did nothing..

Bone Collector

what does the corrosion have to do with it? I ask that question on another forum and never got an answer.

on some the brass looks discolored on others it looks like a small patch of rust some of those have a little green in the rust.

Tiny

Bone Collector said:
what does the corrosion have to do with it? I ask that question on another forum and never got an answer.

on some the brass looks discolored on others it looks like a small patch of rust some of those have a little green in the rust.

If the corrosion is bad and thats a personal judgement call..

They can come apart when fired,or ejected,speaking of the brass rupturing.Have known of brass and hull sepration in some cases but this is mostly with old paper hulls.They may not chamber or cycle through a pump or semi auto correctaly either.

Best to try to clean them up with some fine 0000 steel wool and use USE YOUR Judgement. ;)

Latest posts